AutoDesSys

3D mouse?

davidorth

Sorry in advance if this discussion can be found elsewhere.  I couldn't find it.

I'm a sculptor and would like to move objects around in space in some "random" rotational orientations and positions.  It is complicated and non-intuitive to rotate objects in 3 space with three separate planar rotations and then 2 positioning actions (drag it around on the workplane then into a perpendicular displacement).  Wishing for something more intuitive for modeling input that compares to the fairly intuitive navigational input.

Anyone using some kind of 3D input device with FormZ?  I'm intrigued with 3D Connexion's navigation 3D "mouse", but it only works for views - not fully a mouse.  I'd like something that can grab an object and play with it in space - freely move it relative to whole.

Any thoughts?  I know there are things out there.  But anyone have experience with a low to medium budget solution?

I would be lost without my Space Navigator. (3D Connexion)

Once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. A quick Google brings up this sale.

http://www.studica.com/us/en/3DConnexion/3dconnexion-spacenavigator/3dx-700028_3.html?ex_ref=google_feed&gclid=CMaTh5fE79ECFcWIswodBwEIdg

Hope this helps,

Joe

Joe, thanks, but the Space Navigator ONLY manipulates the view.  I need to manipulate the individual objects in my model.  Yes, Space Navigator has an "object mode", but 3D Connexion only means that the whole model SEEMS to turn in your hand - but they are only talking about the view.  The Navigator cannot grab one of three cubes in a model and position it somewhere else IN THE MODEL.

etroxel,

Which 3D Connexion product are you using?  I got the Space Navigator and I don't see the option to "transform selected objects" .  I don't see anything called a "palette".  Just something called "advanced settings."  Perhaps this function (to transform objects) is only available on other products?

I'm going to have to get used to this tool.  But it's already getting a little easier to use.

One issue is that after an object translation I don't have any "undo".  Neither from the hardware button "undo" nor from inside FMZ.  Anything thoughts?  I'm using FMZ 8.5.6 on Windows 10

Archived