AutoDesSys

Component sizing

eyeclick

I may have created the component incorrectly because I try to edit the component and then Reshape the top part of the slider 4" back, but after selecting Edit Component, when I select Reshape, I can not select the end of the slider.

post-20250-0-40751800-1476648830_thumb.png

Even after deleting everything else in the drawing, I can't attach the file because it's 7MB.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5127466/house-0223.Copy.fmz

Also, if I hit Edit Component and then Close Component, the component will have moved. ???

Hi Eyeclick,

Somehow you have Components in Components in Components inside other Components.  I am not sure how you managed this, but you would probably be best off skipping Components for the moment (until you understand them and the rest of formZ a little better) and just work with standard objects.

Once we download the attached file, we get  the Explode Component Tool.  Select All and click in the screen.  Select All and click in the screen again, and keep repeating until Select All no longer selects any Components.

Are you then able to Reshape as you would like?

Note that if you are removing geometry the Keep Edges option may not have any affect on the result, but you should see these edges maintained when you are adding geometry via Reshape.  

Does that help?

While at my age I can appreciate some subtle condescension, I have watched the video and read the manual on Components.  I did explode the items last night, but as noted in the original post, I only made components out of them because as regular objects they were slowing down the program.  I have a lot of issues with the the display slowing down.  I also noticed that the origin points of my components show being quite a distance away, so when my display is frozen I may be placing them twice.  I couldn't find any documentation on moving the origin point, but moving the little axis thing offsets one component relative to another.  Is there a video or something that explains in greater detail, what I can and cannot do with components?  I'd hate to remain permanently ignorant on the subject.

The updated version has fixed the Reshape tool although I'm not sure why it worked for 3.5 weeks and then stopped.

As far as the Keep edges issue, why would edges be kept on some, but not all items when Keep Edges is unchecked?

Hi Eyeclick,

No condescension intended, but perhaps you are taking on more than you should for a first project and starting with normal objects instead of diving into Components would likely help.  Hopefully you will consider some of our suggestions, and if you have a file that is slower than you would like, first make sure to disable object snaps you don't need (especially intersection and key point snaps -- which can be computationally intensive),  turn off display options such as Silhouette Edges, and use Shaded Work mode for working (and Shaded Full for presentations) whenever possible.  If you have a file that is still slower than you would like, please send your file and let us know what is slow (ie, drawing, navigating, etc) and we will check it out and see what else we can suggest.

When you create a Component, the click point becomes the origin for that component (which is one of many things that you will need to know about Components to use them successfully).  You can modify this by Opening a Component, and Moving the objects relative to the origin -- and that will then be expected to affect any other placed Components in the project.  There is not a specific video explaining this, but that is pretty common across all programs that use symbols or blocks or components (or whatever they are called in a specific program).

There was an issue with Numeric Entry and Reshape in v8.5.5.  This was fixed with the 8.5.6 update, but it is only the numeric entry that was an issue with Reshape with v8.5.5.

Regarding Reshaping and Keep Edges, if you Reshape the top face of a cube upwards, then the Keep Edges will have an effect and the edges where the top face had been previously will be retained.  If you reshape the top face of a cube downwards, then this will "cut away" the top face so those edges will not be retained, regardless of the Keep Edges option.

Hopefully that helps.

Hi Tech,

I have no choice on the project as I have a room full of cabinets to build. I've had much better luck using Instances in modo, but will do as you say and save components for a later date.

The drawer slides are what slow down the drawing,   I have exploded these components and run the unmesh tool, but am left with 1532 faces, 4584 edges and 3056 points. When I try and reshape them, I get the blue spinwheel.  formZ would not let me convert the whole part to nurbs or subD in my desire for a lighter mesh.  I probably should have extruded the length before rounding the edges.  I've also tried deriving the two faces and converting to nurbs, but that doesn't reduce my edge count.  I have no experience with nurbs, I was just trying anything I could think of.  Imprinting on a face just makes the source disappear and I realized I don't know how to unconvert from Nurbs to a planar face.  Can you suggest a way for me to reduce the mesh?  I've deleted the extrusion and am down to the two faces.

Thank you.

Eyeclick,

As noted, if you can post a link to a file that shows what is not as fast as you would like, we can analyze the file and help.

Converting a Facetted object to SubD or NURBS will definitely make the geometry MORE complex, not less.

You can use the Convert tool to convert a NURBS or other Smooth object to Facetted if you like.

Reshape executes a temporary extrusion object and combines it with the main object via live Boolean operations.  This is intended for use with more simple geometry, so if this is getting slow, then try just Extruding the Face, and then Union (or Difference) it with the main object (if you need a single object).

Hope that helps, and if you post a part of your file that shows the issue, we will see what else we can suggest.

Tech,

It is posted above.  I deleted everything else in the file, but even after deleting the undos, I can't get it under 4.5MB.  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5127466/house-0223.Copy-1.fmz

I used the Derive face tool on both parts and they say they are regular objects, but only one will let me reshape, the other I have to extrude.  Both have so much geometry that it slows down.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5127466/kept%20edges2.webm

The Convert tool will not let me select anything with either Nurbs or Quads options.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Dear Eyeclick,

Your shapes have a crazy high Facetted resolution, and one of these is Smooth -- which makes ACIS handle these facets -- which can make things slower:

post-5-0-82091500-1476842713_thumb.jpg

You should simply model the shape as Smooth as Setz suggests, and it should work a lot better.  (Or if you are Importing this from somewhere else, make sure that program supports Smooth geometry, and export it as such before importing it in formZ.)

Your Embedded Component Library has a number of components, so click the red broom icon in the Component Manager Palette to purge these (and thus generate a smaller file).

ps -- out or curiosity -- is there any meaning to your name?

Thank you very much for the suggestions!  I see Attributes when I select and individual item and another Attributes in Pallets.  Under Project Settings > Facetting Schemes, there are Surface and Edge tolerances, but I'm just not seeing where I set this number.  How did you get the second shape back to an object that could be reshaped?  I would like to model the shape as Smooth as Setz suggests, but I'm unsure as to how he went about it.  Did the Convert tool work for you guys?  I will keep looking for that setting.

I didn't import this.  Sorry I wasn't real clear in the first post, I used the v-line tool, filleted the bends and ran the Axl-sweep tool.  I didn't know any other way.

I will sweep my Component Library.

The name is just a play on words.

Thanks again for the help.

Eyeclick,

Setz just quickly retraced your object, resulting in a Smooth  object whose Display Resolution you can set as you are creating the object (or you can Pick the object, click the Attributes Tab of the Pick Tool Options, and change the Basic Attributes to Display Resolution to adjust it as necessary.

When you Sweep, you can choose if you want Smooth or Facetted -- but these objects are not Sweeps -- they are Extrusions, which is easier than a sweep for a case like this -- but their base shapes are Facetted and have way more points than they need:

post-5-0-72942100-1476853631_thumb.jpg

By default drawing these shapes should result in a Smooth object.  Did you Convert it to Facetted for some reason?

Okay, I'll ask one more stupid questions and leave you be for the night.  How did he trace it and get the smooth curves without the extra geometry that I got with the fillet tool.  Was it just setting the V-line Tool Options > Display Resolution to Simple at 0%?  Mine was set at Default Medium.  When I used Fillet, I set it at 1/16".  Then ran the Axl Sweep tool which is also set at Default Medium, although I don't remember if it was Facetted or Smooth.  I do know it will be set to smooth next time and I'm setting all the Display Resolutions to Simple at 0%. 

Knowing about these unmentioned settings (which in all the videos, I've never heard mention of before) are priceless to newbies like me who can't make anything without some unknown thing going wrong.

Thank you.

Eyeclick,

Sometimes it can be useful to recreate a part, and pay special attention to exactly what settings and results you are getting as you proceed.

Just Filleting and Sweeping should not produce this result if you are using the Smooth option -- and again, using Extrude instead when possible will be quicker and easier...

Archived