AutoDesSys

New user and sectiontool segments problem

SoenkeD

Hello, i am a new user from Germany, so please excuse my rough english.

I downloaded the trailversion of FormZ pro some days ago and watched some tutorials and tinkered around to figure out if this application is the real thing for my needs.
I need a modeler for furnituredesign and for interieur of boats.
the ability of unfolding of developable objects ist very important for me.
i find you created e very nice userinterface and what i learned in the first days is very pleasing.
But i have a problem with modelling and manipulating objects by intersections.
At first i created an Object for example this:

post-19334-0-07020700-1468520054_thumb.jpg
then i did a cut with the sectiontool:
post-19334-0-88072000-1468520117_thumb.jpg
then i noticed that 2 objects were created and i try to join them to one object with the jointool:
post-19334-0-15751100-1468520259_thumb.jpg
But while trying to modificate it i noticed it are still 2 parts. How can i achieve an intersection without getting 2 objects?
I just need still one object with a new intersection and when moving a segment there should be no gap. 
I hope you understand what i wrote
Thank you
post-19334-0-48905600-1468520330_thumb.jpg

Hi SoenkeD,

Yes, as Dennis notes you can Section or Slice the objects -- and then Union with the Keep Edges option.  Or you can use the Trim / Split tool with the Split with Line and Stitch options.

Does that help?

Another question occurs.
Should i open an other topic for that here?
While playing around with the Section tool i would like to position the section plane with an exact value.
In my screenshot there is a Value while i slide the plane up and down. But i can not edit it. Is there a possibility to position the plane to exact 0,72 metres or other specified values?
post-19334-0-79710600-1468538338_thumb.jpg

oldie but goldie...

ideally it would work something like: draw a plane at desired position > generate clipping plan from that face > look at clipping plane > export to scale.

For now it is (to my knowledge): draw a plane > look at face > generate clipping plane from view (this will NOT be located on the face so you have to orbit and snap it to that face, using the middle dot)

Then go : "look at face" again, (so dont delete that face - move it to another layer or you wont be able to "look at" your plane)

Essentially, "look at clipping plane" is missing - it should appear on right clicking the palette. (And a lock to secure the saved plane would be a good option imo)

Thanks al lot!
I will try this workaround.
For me (25years Photoshop and Illustrator) as a new user in 3d and here of FormZ
it seems the  construction and modification by exact values is something that should be improved.
May be i just did not get the right kick to work with it. Although it seems to be a nice piece of software and it seems worth to invest more time...

Are there any good tutorials in the www that points out the construction and modification by numeric values?
The tutorials i found on the FormZ homepage are more "freehand" construction
every link is helpful.

Hi SoenkeD,

If you draw any object at that height, you can then click on the center dot of the Section plane and Snap it to the object you created to get an exact value.  (We will see if we can add numeric movement of the section plane in the future.)  

For numeric entry, it should be pretty straightforward.  Just use the Input Palette at the top of the screen and it will prompt you once you start an operation (like drawing a rectangle) for the height and width -- or whatever values are appropriate.  Then just type the desired number and Tab to the next field, or press Enter to accept the values.

Does that help?

Archived