AutoDesSys

Faceted objects rather than smooth.

sjj

Hi,

This question ties in with my previous one in regard to imported splines.

I'm importing a smooth spline from illustrator, i close the spline to create a surface then use the reshape tool to create an object.

The problem is the object is faceted (not set as faceted) in that the interpolation of the curves seems low, so the generated object is angular instead of i nice gentle curve.

I'v tried to adjust the faceting scheme but it doesn't seem to have any effect in that i don't see any difference between the low setting and high? I've even added more points to the curves but that's not helped a great amount?

I suspect i'm missing something because i am trying to fly through an evaluation of formz.

Hi SJJ,

In the Import Options, you can set the desired resolution for the imported objects.  You can also adjust this after the fact if you Select All (or pick the objects you want), click the Attributes Tab of the Pick Options, change the Basic Attributes to Display Resolution, and adjust the resolution of the curves there.

In general the 50% Simple setting should be fine for most objects, and you should only increase this if it is really necessary.  Of course you can do this, but it will make the file larger and more complicated, so only do it for objects where this is important.

If you need further help with this, please copy one or two objects whose resolution is "not sufficient" into  a new project, save that, zip it, and use  the More Reply Options (from the lower right) to attach that to your post so we can take a look and help further.

SJJ,

The Display Resolution ONLY affects the Facetted representation of the Smooth objects, and the Smooth objects themselves will always be 100% smooth curves as defined by their controls and mathematical formulas.  (Simple Resolution = 0% gives the exact same Smooth object as Simple 100% -- but Simple 100% will generate a lot more Facets to represent these.)

The Wireframe and Shaded display modes in formZ will then show these Smooth objects based on these settings, but RenderZone rendering, modeling and snapping will always be to the Smooth definition of the object.  If you Export the model as Smooth objects -- this will also have no effect, but if you export to a Facetted object type or format (such as STL for example), then this Facetted resolution will control how the Smooth objects are converted.

Does that make sense and answer your questions?

Archived