AutoDesSys

Match View can one update the model being matched and how ?

Steve003

Hi,

Having added more to my model now, I wish to update the model in MatchView with this model and see how it now matches the picture,

How is that done ?

Even opening the file saved with the match view the match spots and lines are no longer there, this really needs to have those keep 'live', after all the effort of creating them they are lost.

I am getting better results with this than in sketchup and Rhino, but its far from perfect, the inability to update model or alter any match tabs after a save as means its all to be done again, and its a delicate process, 3dsmax though is a financial suicide mission just for this command.

Not sure how I can justify the cost of FormZ Jr just for this command in its current 'big room for improvement ' state. The green blobs hide the accuracy of the click as well.

Steve

Hi Steve,

You should only need a few points to properly match a view as long as you choose them wisely.  Use points on the image that are towards the extremes of the view, and watch the Tool Options Palette for a close up of the pixels you are matching, and then snap to the desired geometry in the file to "connect" them.

If you are having any trouble, make sure that you are using a "real image" that has not been stretched or skewed in Photoshop, and also make sure that the size of your geometry matches that of the real world objects in the image.

If you need any further help with this, please post a small portion of the file along with the background image, and we can help further.  ;)

Hi,

I think the answer was aimed at my other posts.

I need to know:-

Having added more to my model now, I wish to update the model in MatchView with this model and see how it now matches the picture,

How is that done ?

Even opening the file saved with the match view the match spots and lines are no longer there, this really needs to have those keep 'live', after all the effort of creating them they are lost.

If I could update the model rather than have to redo all the matching process that would be good.

..and a wish is to have the markers retain editability after a svae as or even reopening the file .

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Does anyone know if this is possible ?....pleeeeeese :(

I dont want to have to go through the process of re-aligning my model every time I make additions to it in Rhino !

I wish it would update as a linked file.

or at least be able to go import >myRhinoFile and have it replace the existing one which is matchviewed.

Steve003

Hi Steve,

You should just need to match the view once and have it.   If you need to match it again, you will need to redo your points, but you should only need a few, not dozens, so it should be relatively quick.

If you are having any trouble with this, are you sure that your geometry is the correct size, and that you are using an "unaltered" image?

And if you are simply importing more geometry, it should be in the same location, so the view should still match, no?

Hi,

I am saving the view using the plus icon.

When I go file save and save the project, I lose the editing locators lines ,

I wish to import an updated model, I go file import and select the model, but it creates a new project, it doesnt update the model that is already matched to view.

I didnt take the photos, they are 70 yrs old, no clue as to whether or not a little bit was cropped off the negative, two images are of the item as the sole subject so I presume they are untouched, they are scans from prints with white borders.

I am making sure I have all  clues to the location by using as many points I can identify, there are not that many on the model , three at cab roof, some window corners, radiator top and bonnet to cab joint. an axle cross member and a rear compartment corner. Then dare I use tyres/rims as such can vary up and down, without doing so the match is not good, often the wheels are somewhat undersized, also the match to the far side isnt so good, introduce a farside tyre edge and things fit better.

There is need here for an extra tool, an edge marker, something to denote the angle of an edge, sketchup uses angles not points, and is found wanting for I dont have enough edges to go with, so could do wth point ability, and Form Z could do with edge ability !  I wish the blobs had a more positive snap and a gunsight centre for those area that have a busy snap option area,

Steve003

Hi,

first link I simply mention in passing one thing that is delaying me, the update mode, the post is about acquiring FormZ matchView.

second link http://forums.formz.com/index.php?/topic/3894-zoom-in-perspective-matchview-slows-down-to-nothing/.......eh???  I dont mention it at all

third link IS THE LINK I MADE ASKING ABOUT IT. That is this thread, and here is where I hope to see a method to update the model.

I am finding some answers to my posts seem to have got cross threaded !

example this is the thread for answers to the update, yet answers dont appear here !

Steve

Archived