AutoDesSys

FormZ and Quicktime for windows

Bartjuan

A couple of posts have come to my attention announcing that Apple is discontinuing support for Quicktime for windows.

Not only that, but that there are a couple of security vulnerabilities that will go unfixed in the final version.

It looks like the vulnerabilities are mainly a problem if you go to a malicious page and/or execute a malicious file using the QT player or player based browser plugins.

So maybe the threat isn't too big??

However, Trend Micro and others ( including Apple) are recommending all Windows users uninstall Quicktime ASAP.

I recall from previews forum posts that certain features of FormZ rely on Quicktime.

So, a couple of questions;

What functionality will we lose in FormZ if we uninstall QT for windows?

What steps re the good folks at ADS taking to minimize the impact of no more Quicktime ( if any are needed)?

Lastly, its probably not your place to judge the security vulnerabilities of other companies software but, would you advise removing QT from windows based machines?

Thanks,

Bart

Hi Bart,

Quicktime is only used in formZ to support a couple of file formats, notably the MOV format for Exporting Animations, and PSD files for the 32 bit version of formZ.

We are not sure if the recent news is an overreaction or not, but if you wish to uninstall it, you should be able to without any major issues...

A PSD file is a 'normal' image format as far as we are concerned.  

Every artist, and designer I have ever worked with uses PSD files for all sorts of things.  There are several of other programs that can edit and create PSD files besides Photoshop... Paint, GIMP, Pixelmator...  Surely there must be a translator available for the PSD format then besides Quicktime?

I never knew about the 64 bit Quicktime for Windows issue, and have never had a complaint sharing with PC users.  I suppose they must be converting the files themselves.

My point is to not cut off functionality, but to add it.  It's these kind of things that make FormZ so approachable.  There are many ways of doing things and getting similar results, but it's up to the user to decide what is best for them.  

FormZ = Flexibility

Archived