AutoDesSys

[Q] FormZ -> Illustrator 1:1 scale

Pobo

I'm trying to export a front view elevation drawing from FormZ to Illustrator via Export Image -> Illustrator.

I'm now discovering that the objects in the destination file aren't 1:1, but dependent on zoom level in FormZ.

I can do it via Export -> DWG but then I have to rotate over the X-axis as otherwise I get all my objects in top view, not in front view (can't remember having this problem in previous versions of FormZ).

Can I go straight to a 1:1 export to Illustrator?

Any help greatly appreciated.

// Tom

Great, yes please. I was delighted to see the export to Illustrator option - no more DWG - but I'd really appreciate minimizing the number of extra steps.

I do a lot of dumb work - profiles for laser cutting, elevations for communication with the modelmaker - and these aren't really projects just quick thingies. Layout mode feels like overhead, I would prefer to go straight from the Modeling workspace to an Illustrator file.

I still prefer using DWG to illustrator. But use export image instead, this will prevent the top view .

All I do is make a line segment that is just a bit wider then what ever I am exporting out, then in illustrator it is very easy to set the scale to what ever you want.

Probably more out of habit   and fear of missing information.    the Illustrator format that Z uses is  version 8, since Adobe has not given official documentation of the file format since then.  I suppose most of this is just simple vector data, so in reality nothing should get lost...    

The problem with scaling is in Illustrator, Not formZ.    As any other CAD program would bring in the DWG at the correct scale... but Illustrator still does not (it may if things are small enough, not sure (Lamp Scale and smaller maybe)).    

The trick I do to scale things in Illustrator would still work

Another trick, if you haven't figured it out on your own, Hide the Grid and the Axis in fZ, so that they don't come into Illustrator.

¢£

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the clarification. One of many situations in which the desired result is achievable, it's just a convoluted process to get there. Yes, I had discovered the grid and axis trick though really I would like that to be part of the export dialogue box.

// Tom

Archived