AutoDesSys

Problem after OSX 10.10.5 security upgrade

DMclean

I'm running Yosemite on a MacPro 5.1, using a MacVid Cards Nvidia GTX 980Ti. It's a great card but I've learned the hard way that whenever OSX does a security update it changes the build number, which makes the card useless until NVidia releases the new version of their WebDriver, usually a day or two later, so I've gotten smart enough not to do the OS update until the driver is available.

So with the latest update I followed that procedure. All went well, the system was back up and running and I set back to work. Except now formZ crashed whenever I hid a layer of the model I was working on and then tried to make it visible again. Every time.

I haven't been able to check this out much further since I'm right in the middle of a massive deadline so I pulled the card and switched back to my twin Radeon HD's that the Nvidia had replaced and things worked just fine. The Nvidia did not seem to be causing any other problems with the system.

Will try to explore this further when I have lots of spare time but thought I should put it out there...

Thanks,

Doug

• 1 month later...

I have/had pretty much the same set up, Macpro 5.1 and Nvidia GTX 980 card. I have made sure that my Nvidia drivers are up to date and correct drivers installed.

But, I had to pull out the Nvidia card and put the old one back due to FormZ crashing. If I recall, the crash happened when I tried to save the file and switch to shaded mode. All other programs, such as photoshop and Illustrator seemed to work ok. My original card is factory installed so I am not sure if I can uninstall the card files to make sure that there is no conflict.

I clean installed newest FormZ, but that did not make any difference. I forgot to try FormZ7 if that would have worked ok.

Have there been any other crash reports with these similar issues? Crash report was emailed to Tech support after the crash.

Kimmo

Hi Kimmo,

The issue that Doug reported above should be solved with the current nVidia video driver, and we are not aware of any general problems installing an nVidia 980 card on OS X 10.10 or 10;.11.  When did you send the crash report, and from what email address was it sent?

Also, did you check the various installation recommendations from nVidia and others, such as these?

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=installing+nvidia+9880+on+os+x&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#tbs=qdr:y&q=nvidia+980+osx+installation+instructions

Archived