AutoDesSys

Cant export image, file size limit?

J-Man

Greetings people,

I am rendering a model at the moment at a size of 180cm x120cm at 300 dpi. When its done rendering I try to export the image as a tiff. It starts saving and creates the file and then a few seconds later it deletes the file again before it finishes saving it. 

I have tried re-rendering and all kinds of stuff 5 times now but it never changes the outcome.

Interesting thing is though that at 250 dpi it saves just fine (520MB file size). I did a 270dpi rendering yesterday and it saved that one too (728MB file size). 

So im thinking, is there a limit in the file size that formZ can save? Maybe 1GB?

Im currently trying a 290dpi render which should be done in a few hours.

any one know anything about this?

cheers 

Hi J-Man,

Most image formats have a limit of 32,000 pixels in either direction, but at your resolution it should be around 21,000 pixels -- so that shouldn't be the issue. It will likely take awhile to save an image that size, and the OS may be "refreshing" the folder as it writes the file.  Did you wait long enough for it to save?

Also, if you are generating a RenderZone rendering, these will be saved automatically in your Documents: formZ Folder: RenderZone Images folder.  If you check that location, do you already have the image you rendered previously?

And if you are still having trouble, feel free to send a portion of your file and we will take a look.

Hi J-Man,

Most image formats have a limit of 32,000 pixels in either direction, but at your resolution it should be around 21,000 pixels -- so that shouldn't be the issue. It will likely take awhile to save an image that size, and the OS may be "refreshing" the folder as it writes the file.  Did you wait long enough for it to save?

Also, if you are generating a RenderZone rendering, these will be saved automatically in your Documents: formZ Folder: RenderZone Images folder.  If you check that location, do you already have the image you rendered previously?

Thanks for your response.

I definitely waited long enough. I can see it write the file, and then it deletes the file and it never shows up again.

Didn't know about the auto save in the formz folder, thanks for that. I just checked in there and the renderings at 250dpi, 270dpi and all my test renders at various screen resolution sizes are all saved in there. But the 300dpi renderings are not in that folder. 

My 290dpi rendering finished 2hrs ago, and it too didn't manage to save when exporting nor is it in the auto save folder.

im now rendering it at 280dpi. I want to know where the limit is!! :D

by the way, the same applies when rendering on a different machine aswell!

also checked the console, no errors in there. I don't know if it would show an error in there if there were one but still :D

one interesting thing to note is that I clicked something at one point without noticing and it rendered my objects in matte without reflections instead of metallic. I had it set for 300dpi and it exported the image just fine with 861MB file size (less detail in picture therefore similar file size, to the 270dpi proper rendering, despite being 300dpi. Funny thing is, that one is not in the autosave folder.

What will the extra 5 dpi get you?

If you post a portion of your file that shows the issue, we can take a look...

im just curious from what point it cant save anymore, 280 dpi is fine and I will use it but I dont understand why it cant save images with higher resolutions.

the image will be printed on 180x120 alu dibond and the printer can do 300dpi, which is why I wanted to have 300dpi originally.

not sure how im supposed to post a portion of it?

Pick an object or two, Save A Copy As, and choose the Selected Entities only option.   Then open that file, verify you still have the issue, purge the unused materials, and save once more.  Then email it to support@formz.com and we can take a look...

Just FYI, in my experience, printing above 200dpi doesn't increase the quality of the image enough to justify anything higher than 200dpi.  You'd have to be staring at the image with your eyes only a few inches away to see the difference.   We don't print much anymore, but even when we do, 150dpi has been fine for most printed presentation books.  

Archived