AutoDesSys

RAM question

daswood

Hi Everyone!

I am working on some intensive models and my operations are starting to chugg along. Working in (screen shot). I currently have 24 GB RAM. Thinking about upgrading to 32 GB but want to make sure its necessary. What kind of memory is everyone working with?

Thank you! :)

post-17767-0-55852200-1455645539_thumb.png

Hi Daswood,

That should  be plenty of RAM.  If you check your Activity Monitor, how much memory is the formZ Process using?

(If it is less than 24 Gb, that should be enough.)

How big is your file, and what is slow in particular?

Memory's so cheap these days I think it's worth maxing your system out. Especially with the odd way that OS X manages memory these days!

Even if you end up having to dump four 4gb units for four 8gb units it's still possible for around $150.

I went from 24 to 32 GB myself last year so that I could give 16gb to Parallels and still have 16gb for OS X for those occasions when I need to swap between Windows and OS X in a fluent manner. Which is quite often when dealing with a wide variety of 3d file/scene formats.

Thanks jonmoore and Tech.

The file is pretty big nearly 400 MB. Rendering is not slow. Typical operations like scaleing and moving are slow. I was working in the file and lost the ability to undo :(.

I'm a little confused about the activity monitor as it only shows formz at 2.28 GB of RAM ?? Thanks you two!

Hi Daswood,

The Activity Monitor will show what formZ is using at the moment -- so if you are not working on a complex file, it will  show less than if you are.

RAM is cheap, so if you do run a lot of programs at once, then it can be beneficial.

If you are using Object Snaps when moving, the Key Point and Intersection snaps can be a bit computationally intensive.  If you turn off all but the Point Snap (unless you specifically need the others), does that speed things up?

Also, we have had a few people with the Undo issue. Closing and reopening the project, or relaunching formZ should fix that.  However, if you can figure out exactly what you did to cause the undo to stop working for the project, if you can let us know so we can reproduce it here, then we can get that corrected.

Hi Justin,

VRam is primarily important for showing more textures and / or showing them at higher resolutions.  If there is not enough memory on the card, the driver for the card should automatically handle swapping that memory with actual RAM, which will slow things down a little.  It is also very important to have the latest Driver for the video card installed, so that you have the latest set of corrections and optimizations.  

(With most most Mac cards that come with the computer, just updating to the latest version of OS X is sufficient, but if you have upgraded a card, or if you are using Windows, you need to download the latest Driver from the manufacturer of the card and install that.)

• 1 month later...

Tech how can it be that when working on a file for a long time it becomes "heavy"? When a model has been worked on for a while, the undo and the copy/paste actions becomes very slow, and the memory usage of the project becomes way too high (Activity Monitor). eventually making the file unusable and even un-openable!
I have limited undos and enabled reset undos when saving. It seems like it might be the empty-clipboard option missing.

​Im working around it by copying all geometry into a new scene, but im doing this for the fourth time now with one project....
Where does this heaviness come from, and is there a way to reset Clipboard/undos/etc. for a file?

Hi Ktejlgaard,

We have not heard of this before.  Can you send a file where this happens -- and let us know what you are doing to make it "heavy" so we can test it here?

Also, which version of formZ are you using on which operating system?

Archived