AutoDesSys

Best strategy for making realistic bushes

Spacer

Hi,

I'd like to make boxwood bushes for garden. they will be quite geometric (french style). My idea was to scan actual small branches (say 3) then make tiff with alpha from these and map them to slightly curves planes about10 cm by 5 cm. I would then scatter these in space within the desired volume.

I need strategies to reduce render time(MaxwellV2). these are my ideas, which I hope someone will comment on and or complete:

I may choose to reduce the density of curved planes 'inside the bush' since they are quite planar in a way.

I will use facetted planes(not sure on this one..) planes - or are smooth better?

I will keep the image  resolution low - hopefully 256 pxel for the 10 cm.

I have two i7 2600K with 16 gigs RAM on each. these are fine for overnight renderings and a few multilights.

any ideas?

thanks,

Peter

Hi Petter,

Yes, using the most simple facetted geometry, and maps that do not have excessive resolutions will keep your renders faster.  Also pay attention to the material parameters for these objects, as things like reflection and / or transparency can also add a bit of time.

I did that with plants from XFrog made them Maxwell instances and placed `em around the yard. But to be honest I gave up. After 24 hours of rendering images still where unexeptably noisy:

post-46-0-50923400-1447432913_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-10044300-1447432916_thumb.jpg

post-46-0-54605900-1447432918_thumb.jpg

So, it might be a good idea to use photograph decals to render them. Please let me know whether it worked or not.

Peter,

For your specific application, I would texture map a simple volume for the inner core of the bushes with a photo of a collection of leaves. Then, scatter just a few leaves around the outside of the volume to make an irregular, more believable edge.

General Optimization tips:

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/mxdocsv3/Render+optimization+tips

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/mxdocsv3/Speed+bottlenecks+in+Maxwell

To this i would add, avoid exactly coincident copies of geometry.

Anton,

Plugin version 3.1.1.6 (June 2015) significantly improved render times for MXR instances. We would recommend trying your scene again with the current plugin version. Make sure to optimize the scene according to the tips provided above, as well.

Archived