AutoDesSys

More transform Controller woes...

DMclean

Create a cube.

Transform Rotate the cube to say 45 degrees. Deselect then select again. Controller remains aligned to the cube. All is good.

SubD the cube.

Select Transform. The controller is now aligned to the XY plane i.e. rotated 45 deg to the cube (and in some more complex samples I did it was reset at the grid origin). Easy enough to fix in the cube sample, but if you don't know exactly what the original rotation of the cube is or the shape is more complex it gets ugly.

Thanks,

Doug

It would be a boon. I currently work around it by creating a very rough object where I want it, move a copy to sit nicely on the XYZ axis, do the work, then SubD at which point the controller still remains aligned and then move it back, but it's a nuisance when you decide you just want to make a few changes where it sits and find that the controller has reset. As you can tell from many of my posts, Transform is one of the tools that I always use and it's always a shock to my system (the mental/biological one not the electronic computer one) when the controller misbehaves.

Thanks,

Doug

Thanks kindly. formZ is an absolutely amazing tool, especially when combined with Maxwell Render (and hopefully some other renderers soon... :rolleyes: ). I've toyed with other programs and while there are advantages to some I keep coming back to formZ for sheer speed of use, especially since the interface change. As a designer now I almost never leave the 3D Perspective View. It is just such a great and natural way to work. Several years ago Bruce Brannit made a short film called World Builder (It's on YouTube if ow want to see it) in which a character is working life size within a model as he builds it. formZ is the closest thing I've found to being able to do that. The next step I'm thinking should be to combine the program with the Occulus Rift VR (HINT) and if ADS ever need someone to test that I know a guy who'd be perfectly happy to.... :)

Again, thanks for your kind words and thanks to Z for the great support through this forum and for putting up with whiny guys like me. Advance warning... I'm just beginning to explore the SubDiv tools. Awesome stuff... I can hardly wait to see what I can break...

Doug

Archived