AutoDesSys

RenderZone renders mapped objects black

davidorth

In certain conditions I have not figured out yet, RenderZone turns objects black - today anyway.  The objects are textured with a bronze map, some procedural, reflection & bumps.  The bumps and metallic reflections show, but it is all greyscale.  Everything looks fine in either shaded renders, but what could have happened to my color in RZ?

Thanks for helping.  I've attached 4 screen prints.  Hope one of them will clarify things.  I did remove the material bumps for now.

You can see one item that is rendered black.  That's a chapel altar.  It's supposed to be bronze like image 4 & 2.  The material is a targa file that looks like file 2.  The other is a chapel font where I just selected a predefined material - polished bronze I think - to compare the renderings.

The numbered images - probably relevant in the following order:

4: rendered in Shaded Work

2: texture map shown in "View"

1: Maybe this is a clue.  The texture map shows as a negative in this dialog box.

3: Here are the metal refection options for the troublesome material.

Your thoughts?

post-11263-0-45880900-1439768488_thumb.jpg

post-11263-0-39405100-1439768489_thumb.jpg

post-11263-0-40780300-1439768491_thumb.jpg

post-11263-0-19776200-1439768493_thumb.jpg

Image 5: my list of lights and another RenderZone image.   Not sure what you need to see about lights.  Seems clear that there is lots of light here.  But do you need to see more light detail?

Image 6:  Same scene in Shaded Full Display.

post-11263-0-11825600-1439776815_thumb.jpg

post-11263-0-94399200-1439776815_thumb.jpg

Still stumped.  I'm pretty sure it is something that happens when FMZ loads the texture map image.  As you can see in image 1, it is loading as a negative of the original and already the little spherical preview shows it black.  I've tried it with targa and jpeg.  No alpha channels.

In the Color Map Options under the preview is a "view" button.  Click it and you see the image as it is supposed to be - image 2.

Hi David,

We can't tell why this renders black from the info above alone.  Therefore, please select the black object, choose the Save A Copy As command, save the file to a New Folder, and check the Picked Objects Only, and Include Referenced materials option.  Then open that file, verify the issue still occurs, zip and send that folder so we can take a look.

Hi David,

If you go to the Color Map Options, you will see that neither the MIP Map, nor the Summation Table sampling are selected for this material somehow.  Choosing either one will fix your Material so that it renders properly:

post-5-0-12140000-1439819965_thumb.jpg

Do you have any idea how you got neither one selected, and can you make that happen again somehow?

I must have just brushed up against something - seems to happen easily in Windows 8 and FMZ8.  I see that it is supposed to toggle back and forth between MIP and Tables.  Have no idea how they both got unpicked.  (Also have no idea what MIP or Tables are.)

So yes, it seems to be working now.  But still getting a negative image in the image load preview box.  Not a big deal. 

Image attached.

Hi David,

Thanks for the additional info.  Given that, and given that the number of tiles (grayed out but...) are showing crazy numbers, we would recommend creating a new material, loading your image (which should then not show inverted), deleting this bad material, and replacing it with the new one you just created...

Thanks again for your report, we will investigate this further.

Archived