AutoDesSys

"Measured guides" like SketchUp?

-andrew-

Yeah, that would be -immensely- helpful. Not just a click or two, either - fundamental layout time would decrease in a huge way! 

I'm sure you've used the SketchUp system - just makes sense....

Is there a way to use the measuring tool to quickly create points or something? (Or, basically, numerically enter distances that can somehow be converted to guides or guide points)

thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

You can just create a guide, and then move that -- and / or move copies of them.  You are aware of the Input Palette and the Distance / Angle, or Width / Length fields, right?  So if you click to start moving an object, you can move the cursor in the desired direction and the Distance field will automatically be highlighted so you can simply type the distance and hit Return to move the object?

post-5-0-40733400-1426689074_thumb.jpg

Or if you click to start drawing a rectangle for example, the Width field will be active, and you can just type this, tab to Length, enter that, and click Return to finish the object numerically?

Also, by switching the Input Palette from 3D to Delta, you can specify input Relative to the previous click.  And of course you can use that method to move or draw objects relative to existing points, so you shouldn't need to make too many guides (or at least I don't in general).

Does this help?

Hi Tech-

Yes - this helps! Really not too bad. I've been using this for other things, but have a project now where going at it from a more "traditional" drafting approach is desired.

Would still like to see a way, perhaps, to have the measuring tool be persistent, or something like that, to aid in rapid initial layout. Naturally, SketchUp's method is welcome, too.

thanks!

Andrew

One aspect of @Last's (the original developers of SketchUp) design philosophy that drove their success was the simple, elegant way they incorporated multiple functions into a single tool; your example of the Tape Measure tool is one of the very best. I'd love to see more effort put into incorporating functionality like this into formZ. Guides are great. Having an entirely separate tool to create them (plus having a completely arcane and undiscoverable keyboard shortcut) adds overhead for the user.

Archived