AutoDesSys

From 2D character to 3D printing

DanM

Here's a small project I'd like to share, it was done more a favour to One of my bigger clients.

The client asked me to make him small figures that he will use as key chain in a company event.

This was the first time I did an actual job using the sub devision tools.

this is what `i got from him:

post-23-0-64673900-1424725822_thumb.png

A wireframe of the Sub devision model:

post-23-0-52002300-1424725881_thumb.png

The model alongside the 2D image:

post-23-0-33750900-1424725928_thumb.png

The model converted to NURBS and all parts unioned:

post-23-0-87270300-1424726043_thumb.png

The figure out of the 3D printer:

post-23-0-09134700-1424726092_thumb.jpg

Hi

I actually enjoyed using the SubD tools. I didn't feel at any point that I'm limited in anyway compared to Cinema4D SubD tools which I'm used to work with.

There is One major problem, stability. The program crashed several times while I tried to move control points. Also I had a problem, when I converted the arms into NURBS, instead of getting One solid, I got separate surfaces with One surface missing. I overcome the problem by stitching the surfaces and recreating the missing face with the cap tool.

One tool that I would like to have is soft selection. In cinema 4D I can select faces of points by hovering over the model with the cursor, and every face or point I touch is selected, only on visible faces.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Great, glad it worked well for you.  Regarding the stability, we have not encountered problems moving control points.  Can you send your file so we can test with this here and see if we can reproduce any issues?  Please also include the SubD that did not automatically generate a Solid when converting so we can investigate that as well.  And thanks for your suggestion, we will consider this for the future.  ;)

Hi Dan,

Thanks for posting your file.  We have been "adjusting" your project in a lot of different ways on different computers, but so far we have not encountered any issues:

post-5-0-26079400-1424790977_thumb.jpg

We will continue testing, but if you have any further info regarding the problem you encountered, please let us know so we can better direct our testing.

Archived