AutoDesSys

Slow Opening File

DMclean

Any thoughts why formZ would suddenly take 15 minute to load a model that had previously been loading in under a minute? It's about a 500MB model that I've loaded and worked on before. Beginning to think there may be a hardware problem. I upgraded the amount of RAM, which should be helping, not hindering.

Model startes to load, hits about 25MB, then slowly inches its way up until finally the entire model is loaded. It's doing this on several models, though not consistently.

Puzzled...

Doug

Did you try to open new project and import objects from problem project into them?

Use object and project doctor?

You can also try selecting each 1/2 the objects & save selected objects to 2 new projects. If one 1/2 opens good and other is a problem.... Do the same on problem 1/2 till you find problematic object(s)

Hi Doug,

First we would check the File Menu: Project Settings: Project Files: File Optimization.  Make sure that this is set more towards Opens Fast than Smaller Files.  (The smaller file settings will cause Smooth geometry and parametric objects to be regenerated when the file is opened, so while this will make the file considerably smaller (which can be useful for emailing files), it can also add quite a bit of time for certain geometries to be opened.

If that is not it and you are still having trouble, please send the file so we can take a look.

When all else fails, check the obvious.

Don't know how it got that way, but somewhere along the line the Smaller Files setting was indeed set all the way to the right. This is something I almost never do for this reason alone, but somewhere along the line it happened.  Reset, saved and reopened the file and all is back to normal. Now need to find out how I reset the setting in the first place.  Many thanks...

Doug

Hi Doug,

Great, glad to help!

If you are using AutoSave, there is a separate setting for how Autosave files are saved in the Preferences.  

(They use the Save Smaller option by default because that saves faster, but you can change it if you want...)

Aha! Therein lies the culprit I am guessing... The file I was trying to open was probably opened from an AutoSave file when I wanted to go back to a slightly earlier copy at some point. Have now made sure that Autosave is now set to fast opening so that shouldn't catch me by surprise again...  :unsure:

Archived