AutoDesSys

Blurry textures

3dguy

Hopefully someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I've built a simple road and created a simple road texture to map onto it. No problems there. But for the life of me I can't figure out why it's so blurry when viewed up close. It looks great from a distance, but I need the camera to be right on the road (from the perspective of a car). At that angle the texture is really soft and blurry. 

Attached are my source files (road .fmz file and high-res texture map).

Is there a setting or something I'm missing?

blurry_textures.zip

post-12095-0-64338700-1481089503_thumb.png

Hi 3dGuy,

Just increase the Image Texture resolution from the Display Options:

post-5-0-81765400-1481099067_thumb.jpg

Note that higher resolutions require more Video Memory, and processing power than lower resolutions do, so make sure that you have a good video card if you will be cranking these settings... ;)

Thanks! But now I realize I wasn't exactly clear with my question. I see how to adjust the resolution for Shaded Full and Shaded Work display, but no matter what settings I use I can't get sharp textures when doing a raytraced rendering in RenderZone. 

Is it even possible?

Hi 3dGuy,

Just increase the Image Texture resolution from the Display Options:

attachicon.gifDisplay Resol.jpg

Note that higher resolutions require more Video Memory, and processing power than lower resolutions do, so make sure that you have a good video card if you will be cranking these settings... ;)

Thanks! But now I realize I wasn't exactly clear with my question. I see how to adjust the resolution for Shaded Full and Shaded Work display, but no matter what settings I use I can't get sharp textures when doing a raytraced rendering in RenderZone. 

Is it even possible?

I think the problem is that when you get the camera right tight against the texture, its resolution is just not high enough. Even though it is essentially an 8K texture, because the area it is mapped over is so large, when you get up close to it, the aliasing of the original image is showing, and it just isn't sharp.

I was able to produce the image attached (which is not exactly your model, but I just wanted to see if I could do it)

I created a spline roughly in the shape of your road, then offset it. Then I created a nurbz surface between the two by lofting between them. This gave me a plane which was parametrically mapped along the curve. I then painted that with a 2K material which was basically one set of the dash lines. Then I tiled that along the length of the shape with adjust texture. There are a few problems which could be probably be sorted out (or remain unnoticed) such as the fact that the dashed lines are tighter in length where the curve is extreme, but the gross problem of the fuzziness is gone.

Hope that helps. Perhaps someone who does more work in nurbz can refine this idea for you, but I think this is the basic approach that will get you what you want. A nice side effect is the texture file is a lot smaller....

Hope that helps,

Doug

You got me wondering how to get even spaced texture at the ends.  I know the control points need to be evenly spaced for this to happen.

in the file are objects named with the progress of each of the steps I used.

Draw Polyline

Create Curve

Polygonize Tool - set to equally spaced points

Offset Tool

Create Curve - set to spline through points

Nurbs Loft

Edit Texture Map - unclick lock size - set horizontal to 2%

post-176-0-62576100-1481252704_thumb.jpg

post-176-0-06980100-1481252710_thumb.jpg

post-176-0-31845300-1481252713_thumb.jpg

Equal Spacing Control Points.fmz.zip

Thanks for the tip on how to get the even sizing of the textures... It would have taken me forever to figure that out. NUrbs are a whole part of formZ that I only occasionally use but need to get to know better.

Doug

Archived