AutoDesSys

TwinMotion - Datasmith live issues

Good morning all, I am currently running 10.0.1 and working on my Mac (Sonoma 14.5) and running into issues exporting to TM using Datasmith live link.

All the export settings are the same I've used in the past. TM livelink appears to be importing the model, but it isn't visible in the scene? When I click on the model in the TM scene panel I can select the model imported and the interaction arrow pops up but nothing else is visible. 

I've tried the newest 2024 of Twinmotion and also run older versions (2023) that previously worked fine. Any others having this issue or is this just me??? 

Untitled 2.png

I did a super basic test on my Mac mini M1 in Sonoma 14.5 with formZ 10.0.1 and Twinmotion 2024.1.0, using formZ Datasmith Direct Link and with default settings in both apps, and it's working fine.

image1.thumb.jpg.c09b05cc90cdd33b214036f97583da26.jpgimage2.thumb.jpg.47512e532ee7a8674c6874898d4a6c03.jpg

Nice thanks for testing @ZTEK  I am on my way back from a meeting to double check my settings, but you mentioned direct link vs live link. I can import using a non updatable link ( i.e. once the model is in TM I can’t make an edit in formz) that is Live linked. Have you had any luck using the direct link?

Okay back at my desk - I can import geometry per the screenshot (setting window) but not direct link. Again, only shows up as a navigator handle. So strange. I've tried other models as well with the same problem. 

Untitled 4.png

Untitled 5.png

Untitled 6.png

Posted (edited)

Amazing thank you for proving the live linking works @ZETC.

I think I've just realised my slip up! 

The step I missed is launching and syncing the Datasmith palate in FormZ!!! I forgot that was the last little twerk and was expecting it to just appear in Twin motion! 

Edited by SoWhat

Glad it's sorted for you.  It's not the most logical process.

I think it could be simplified a bit.  For example, it would be nice if we simply clicked on a single button in FormZ that started a Live Link (Sync Incrementally) AND that also Launched Twinmotion automatically.  This is the way it works in other rendering application plug-ins.  

Love it... a great idea! Even if you export the file and then hit the GO button and it launches TwinMotion (informed by the file you have open). That would be a truely smooth experience.