AutoDesSys

Display Scale

jldaureil

Hello

Have the "display scales" options present in versions 6.7.3 (display menu) been completely removed in the current versions?

We used this option extensively to produce images at a precise scale with respect to a given paper size.
For example a facade or a section.

In version 6.7.3 we are faced with minor issues that arise from the way this option works.
The principle is to display the view on a scale on the monitor. And the calculation is based on a monitor pitch around 0.264 mm
(for example a line of 4000 cm is always displayed at 1/100 by 1513 pixel
This allows us to calculate the pitch in constant in the algorithm
(1513 x 0.2645 = 400 mm)

Combined with the image option setting or the camera view setting, it allows you to set an image as close to what it needs to be for scalable paper printing ...

As the screen pitch has evolved a lot in the last few years (0.216 see less), it falsifies the calculation a lot.
We have to play on the zoom value to rectify the problem ...

It would have been enough of an entry in the preferences to adapt exactly the menu to a specific screen ...

These possibilities seem to have been abandoned today
So what is now the best way to display a model view at a given scale compared to the image produced?

For example how to calculate an image of a building for a specific paper format at a specific scale in version 8.5?
(for example 40 cm paper, scale 1/100 for an image at 150 dpi)

JL

I would always draw a partial frame around what I was rendering.  "L"  as long as I know the actual dimensions of the frame, in Photoshop, I could get a pretty exact adjustment.

most I was really off was about 3/32"  over a 20' span.   A Little bit of a pain, but I created some actions in photoshop that mostly automated the process.

1. FZ, set the desired view, then adjust the window to closely match the "L" frame proportions/shape.  FZ will always put a border around the rendering when you fit the screen.  

2. FZset the image Options to "Use Custom Size"  a bit higher than you want your final rendering to be,  to buffer the border mentioned above.

3. Fit All. to get the camera as close to the frame as FZ will allow

you can do it manually, however, if you ever need to render again, or do things in multiple passes for layers in PS, then this is more consistent.

3. FZ  render object in frame that is facing the camera head on (in my case that was easy, as I always rendered flat objects (flat patterning))  with the Alpha Channel turned on.

4. in PS, using the alpha channel, strip the background out of the image.

5. Crop image to the Frame

6. Resize the image to the final dims.  Turn Off Resample, and let the resolution adjust.   We would usually be around 60 PPI  when all said and done.

7 Do not discard your window that you used to render, as keeping it's shape is critical to matching future renderings (again for layers or fixing mistakes)

8, if you need to edit the project, create a new window and do all edits in it (this could be step 0 in anticipation)

cheers!

Hello Chistopher

Thank you for your ideas
I developed a small procedure from yours that works very well here

1- Draw a rectangular positioning frame
Width = width of the image to be produced x scale factor
Height = Height of the image to be produced x scale factor

(eg image width 38 cm at 1/100 gives 3800 cm)

Place this frame in the plane defined in relation to the model (section, facade, plan ..)

2-Adjusting IMAGE options (Use Custom Size) / View parameter "camera view"
The size of the image is the one that serves as the basis for the scale of the setting frame before

3-Adjusting the view
display only the positioning frame (and execute "Fit all" taking care not to leave any margin (Fit all> fit border = 0%)

The view exactly matches the tracking frame

4- setting the render and rendering

5-OPTION: passage in photoshop for possible editing of the image (except the size)

6-Import in the draft (v6.7.3)
compositing with an import Hidden line
with this method the image coresponds with the vector line hidden line with 1 pixel of tolerance
Draft layout and output pdf and paper

This technique works on all our screens whatever the resolution and the pitch size (because it no longer uses Display scale version 6.7.3)
It is transferable on 8.5 except (of course) for the DRAFT import !!

Thanks you very much for your ideas!

Cheers