AutoDesSys

A few catenary questions

-andrew-

Sorry, this is probably some basic FZ usage stuff I should be aware of...

Catenaries are awesome...

Basically, let's say I have a scene with lots of catenaries - maybe 30 or 40.

As created, they're invisible when rendered, and have no thickness.

Is there a fast way to apply a procedure to all of them  (or a selected set) which will either add "thickness" or extrude a shape along all of them at the same time, or, better, when created?

thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

You can Sweep any cross section along the catenary path (but you will need to do this for each path individually).  

(Note that using a more simple cross section (like a rectangle) will give you a much more simple result, and you probably want to start sweeping using the Centroid alignment.)

Does that give you the desired result?

Hi there-

Yes - this does produce a desired result (I have swept a triangle and bi-angle just to see the result, and it's fast/low poly) but I'm hoping for a faster way to create lots of them...

Would be great if there were an option to create with a cross-section (or, maybe even better, to create many swept objects at once)

thanks

Hi Andrew,

You can Sweep any cross section along the catenary path (but you will need to do this for each path individually).  

(Note that using a more simple cross section (like a rectangle) will give you a much more simple result, and you probably want to start sweeping using the Centroid alignment.)

Does that give you the desired result?

Hi Andrew,

We will see if "multi-sweeping" can be added for the future, thanks for your suggestion.  

Of course if you wanted to generate 30 sweeps, it will only take 60 clicks (clicking on the first source, then the first path, the second source, then the second path, etc), so you should be able to complete that in a minute or two, but as noted above, we will consider this for the future.  ;)

I image a day when we can choose sweep, then marquee-select 30 paths (or a group of paths), then simply click on a cross section.

3 clicks!    :)

Also, I think when I was doing it, sweep wasn't staying selected, so it was 3 per operation... I'll have to check.

thanks again!

Hi Andrew,

We will see if "multi-sweeping" can be added for the future, thanks for your suggestion.  

Of course if you wanted to generate 30 sweeps, it will only take 60 clicks (clicking on the first source, then the first path, the second source, then the second path, etc), so you should be able to complete that in a minute or two, but as noted above, we will consider this for the future.   ;)

Hi Andrew,

The Sweep tool should stay active unless you selected the Return to Pick option from the Preferences.  That is generally not a good option, so you should deselect it unless you have a specific reason for using it...

Archived