AutoDesSys

Shaping an Object

eGrafx

What would be the best approach to make the green object conform closer to the shape of the human head? Mostly I need to make the bands that run across the top of the head spread a little wider without change the dimensions of the rest of the object. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

image-post.fmz.zip

post-20158-0-42639500-1474426033_thumb.png

Hi eGrafx,

Your object has crossing faces which will prevent the rounding from completing successfully:

post-5-0-05090900-1474468481_thumb.jpg

Can you post the original surface before you Thickened it so we can take a look at that?

And did you get any warnings about the crossing faces when you Offset or Thickened the surface?

Hi eGrafx,

Your object has some VERY tiny segments at the edge where you want to apply rounding -- which will greatly limit the rounding that you can apply to the edge (to less than the length of that segment):

post-5-0-89096500-1474476401_thumb.jpg

If you go back to the surface before Thickening and Move the "nearly coincident" points near the edge so they are exactly coincident with the adjacent points (using the Snap to Original option from the Move Tool Options), then "Fix" these Duplicate points with the Object Doctor, can you then Thicken and Round the full edge?

If not, please post the file BEFORE Thickening -- and let us know what Thicken options you are using, as well as what Rounding options you would  like to use so we can help further.

Pretty much have this the way I want it to look now (the fit on the head is perfect!), but still having some issues with rounding. I was able to get the Thickness to work by applying it before I did the Slicing. I needed one thickness for the material and another for the black plastic. I would still like to apply some Rounding (especially to the black plastic) but it seems to mess up the objects and I'm still not clear on how to fix that. Thanks for all your help. 

image-09-no ghost-reduced.fmz.zip

post-20158-0-80228900-1474481681_thumb.png

I have generally preferred to start with line-editing, getting all segments to be equally spaced segments in each line, (newer formz aps use the polyg  tool for this. While  older z aps can use the zero helix).... You can choose as many points as desired and equal segments are easiest to round later on. If thickening fails, i might go with parallel surfaces and then make extra objects for round edges, using sweep... If all are surfaces (not solids) then sometimes stitching works, but might not be needed for quicker images making (or animating vids).

Archived