AutoDesSys

Getting rid of fill in 2D objects

bhealy27

Seems like a really silly question but how do you get rid of the fill in 2D objects? Every time I draw a rectangle, oval, circle, etc. I'm left with an object that has a face and a line or spline around it. I'm trying to just get the outline to work with. The fill/face just gets in the way.

Thanks in advance.

Hi BH,

Perhaps you should change the Display Menu to Wire Frame display?

Or you can pick any or all of the objects, click the Attributes Tab of the Pick Options, and then Uncheck Render As Shaded Surface from the Basic options.

Does that help? ;)

I like your second recommendation best however, I'm apparently missing something. With the item selected and the Tool Option - Pick menu Attributes selected I see the  "Basic" box and underneath that is a default material but it doesn't appear there are any other options. 

You have got to think I am the dumbest person you've ever had to try to help but I cannot (after 20 minutes of looking around the menus and trying to research how to expand FormZ menus on the internet) find a way to expand the menu.  Please point to the preference setting or button I have to push to accomplish this.

BTW I do want to thank you for your quick responses.  You guys have always done a great job of customer service. I've owned FormZ for a long time and am currently running v 8.5.  I just haven't spent a lot of time with it. I'm finding though that this is a great program for building things to import into Zbrush as .obj files. You can easily make a wonderful variety of items FormZ  that are still hard to do in Zbrush and your files export very well. I'm now trying to learn the ins and outs of this program.

Anyhow, please let me know where I'm going wrong.

Drag the corner down.  Or you can also select the objects you want to have render this way and then Right Click and choose attributes to get to the same dialog.

There is also a Tool, "Break" that will break the closed outline into a non-closed line where the start touches the end.  This will effect the way the object extrudes and will make booleans no longer work as well, but depending on what you are doing, this may work for you.

post-176-0-46436800-1471287469_thumb.jpg

Hi BH,

Great to hear that formZ is working in well for your modeling needs, and working well with ZBrush (as it should!).

Does just dragging the lower right corner downwards as Setz suggests allow you to see the full set of options?

Setz,

Thanks for the suggestions, however dragging the corner down was one of the first things I did and right clicking the item and selecting attributes produced the same menu. I've attached a copy of the screen grab I'm getting and also a copy of what prompted this in the first place i.e. a screen grab from one of Formz's YouTube videos on Subdivision surfaces.  

Tool Options - Pick Screen.tiff

SubD Training Video.tiff

Ah, the object has to be picked.  I think you have the Pick Tool selected, but I don't think you have clicked to select the object.  Attributes are displayed for the Selected objects and if no objects are selected, no attributes are displayed.  Once an object is selected, the three missing tabs (Selection - Attributes - Info) will appear in the Tool Options - Pick Palette.

The object was selected. In the screen grab I attached above,  it shows Selection, Attributes and Info tabs with Attributes highlighted. The only boxes showing on the Tool Options - Pick panel  show Basic and Material 1.  Has me perplexed. I'm using v 8.5.4 on a Mac. 

SOLVED!!!!!!

This really sounds flakey but it's true.

I decided to save the file and restart FormZ and see if I could get a different result with other items. So I tried a hexagonal figure and another closed item created with the V-line tool. Lo and behold the full blown Tool Options - Pick pallet showed up when I clicked on Attributes for both items. Then I re-opened the the item I had originally drawn and which was the subject of this Topic and by gosh the Attributes NOW was the full blown version and my problem was solved.  I don't know what happened since I hadn't changed the item at all before saving but now the info was all there just like you said.

Sorry I've taken up so much of your time but it never dawned on me to shut the file down and restart the program.  Live and learn.

Thanks again for the help.

BH,

With your TIF image above, you only have a FACE Selected.   You need to select the OBJECT in order to access the Attributes of the Object (instead of just the Attributes of the Face that you show).

The key is the "Part" or "Topological Level" that you have selected at the top of the Pick Options.  

Does that clarify why what you describe is exactly as expected?

Archived