AutoDesSys

Trim Issues

Trick

Once in a while I am trying to get up to the same speed with v8.5 as I was with v6.

One thing that really slows me down on working with large infrastructure projects is the trim lines tool.

In v6 when using the tool as in attached image, I had all the right results. In v8.5 B en C do not work anymore. What am I doing wrong ???

post-118-0-78796500-1468674654_thumb.jpg

C should work but B confounds 8.5 , you are not doing anything wrong.

Trim only works now if both segments move out positively.

You will also find there is now no trim/stitch option.....

and even more curious and annoying .....

snap to perpendicular only works when you draw TOWARDS a segment , not when you draw away from it (when you obviously need it)

snap to tangent only works when you draw TOWARDS an arc , not when you draw away from it (when you obviously need it)

Hi Trick,

Yes, currently you would need to break B  or C so they are separate segments and so that they do not extend past the intersection and then you can Trim.  Thanks for your report, we will get this corrected.

Hi Pipo,

Thanks for your suggestions, we will see if that can be adjusted as well.   ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply....because of vacation:)

I really can't get C to work. Trim tool used to work on segments in v6, but now it does not work in case of C where there is ONE open polyline!!

Please make it work on segments as it used to work in v6!!!

When I import 3rd party 2D infra files, there are lots of cases with single polylines and A/B-cases (see above) where you can't really distinguish if it's a A or B case at all; normally you could stitch all lines by just using the trim tool; this is not possible (read: extremely hard and/or difficult) anymore!!

In above example the openings between the line segments are clearly visible; in the files I get these openings are almost NOT visible, which makes it that hard!!!

Hi Trick,

If you just want the shape closed, you can use the Close Line Tool, but if you want the ends trimmed straight, you will need to first break the shape, then Trim, and finally Join.  

(As noted above, we will see what we can do to improve this for the future.   ;))

Thanks for the reply.

Its is not so much about solutions, it is more about lost functionality and ease of use. Breaking up a shape and afterwards unbreaking/connecting/removing vertices is not an option in large files where I have to trim segments a few hundred times!!

I upgraded to v7 and v8 and hope you understand that therefore only am still using v6!

Attached is another example that makes using trimming a lot more userfriendly and versatile in v6.

By clicking on different parts of the multisegment line you get different results in v6, while in v8 nothing happens wherever you click!!!

post-118-0-52429000-1472038138_thumb.jpg

Archived