AutoDesSys

New Laptop

cobrien

Hello,

I'm after a new laptop & need a bit of advice.

I just purchased a Dell 7510 & have been a bit disappointed with the performance. As I'm returning it (for other reasons) I thought I'd get some advice before purchasing another one. The 7510 gives me around 25/30% quicker rendering times & I guess I expected a bit more compared to my 6yo laptop.

These are the specs of both:

Old Laptop:

Dell XPS

Win 7 Pro

i7 2720QM

8 GB Ram

Nvidia GeForce GT 555m

HHD

New Laptop:

Dell Precision 7510

Win 10 Pro

Xeon E3-1505M V5

32 GB Ram

Nvidia Quadro M1000M

SSD

What else should I be looking for?

Hello again,

I've been looking at the cpu comparison chart you linked to & was wondering why Quadro's are included in 'workstation' class machines when they fall behind the gtx 960/70/80's that are marketed to gamers? Do they offer advantages to CAD/graphic users that aren't a part of those benchmarks?

True CAD workstations still work best with Quadro's. Applications like Revit don't rely on GPU performance like those that game GPU's offer (GeForce). Even the top of the line BOXX workstation offers a Quadro M5000 for video: http://www.boxx.com/products/apexx-5

It's not until you are using real time rendering apps like Unreal, Lumion, Octane, or VR headsets that you really get the benefit of GeForce cards, and apps like Revit will actually suffer. Depending on the rendering app you are using, you should probably buy for that. Thea, for instance, can do GPU-based rendering with CUDA (nVidia cards). Maxwell and Renderzone do not at this time. 

Archived