AutoDesSys

Bug. UV's

UV Issues.  

I run into this issue about every other time I Use UV Mapping.   It is NOT an import issue, as it will happen when converting a projection map created in fZ  to UVs.

the problem does not exist with projections, only with UV's.  

Usually, I can fix things in PhotoShop or by doing some creative pattern Breakup when importing (I typically do my UV's outside of fZ unless it is one of the Simple Projections)

This time,  I am hosed.  Trying to fix this is Photoshop is going to be a lot of work.  if possible at all.

File is too big to attach. so here is a Drop Box Link     (BTW,  the equivalent file in Modo is 11k   not 14.2 Mb   ???)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ao4dgcvcgzcytj2/Bad%20UV%27s.fmz.zip?dl=0

The image attached shows Modo's interpretation which is correct,  then formZ's interpretation, which is incorrect ( the flat UV Space is Modo )

Any suggestions on how I can work around this for now?  (Object Doctor and Project Doctor already run   0 errors)

Please,  please fix.

Chris Lund

post-9803-0-42546800-1463704910_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris,

Sorry, we are a bit confused.  We see the current UV's on the surface in formZ -- but if we understand what you are saying, something is not importing properly in to formZ -- or are you reporting something else?

If this is an import problem, can you please post the file to be imported so that we can see what result we get with formZ vs what you "should get" with other programs?

Or are we missing your point here?

Quote from Above...

It is NOT an import issue, as it will happen when converting a projection map created in fZ  to UVs.

Yes, you are missing the point.    The UV Maps are hosed.    again  NOT AN IMPORT ISSUE!

Guys....!  There is a link to the file above.

in the image that was attached,  can you not see the differences?  In the top set,   there is a red "?"  with an arrow pointing to what is wrong.

would you need the   foreign file format?   It isn't right in fZ at all.  so, I don't have a "right"  in fZ.

there really isn't a transition either.   This is just wrong.   on the Series of polygons (Gore)  that the Red arrow is pointing to,   the coordinates are re-mapped 

There is supposed to be a seam  where the UV's break from the 3D space.    fZ, is not breaking up the seam.

Another way to put it,  is in UV space, along that seam each node, should have two sets of coordinates.

I could  try to replicate an all fZ  issue... but that may take a while to do.

In this Specific Case,  the UV's were Created in Modo and saved as a Light Wave File.   FormZ never saw the UV's correctly.

But again, There are times when I get the exact same behavior, when I create All Geometry in fZ,   Set everything up with Projection Maps  then convert to UV's

Which implies, it has something to do with fZ's UV "engine".  not an import issue.

Do you need the exact creation process in Modo?

Hi Chris,

Ok, we can see the "Bad" file does not look right -- but that has issues in other programs too.  Does that open properly in Lightwave for you?  (Sorry, don't have that handy at the moment.)

And what is the difference between this one and the "Good" one that you sent?

Also, did you try using the OBJ format to see if that had any better results with the "Bad" file (if that did open properly in Lightwave)?

Seems as though it is an import issue after all.  my apologies (  though, fZ will do it on it's own... I will report it when I run into it again )

OBJ works.   I tend to use the LWO format, as reading into Modo from FormZ works better.

Considering that the Bad file was originally written by formZ, that would make sense.

Process...  

Modo Save via LWO (file is good at this point)

FormZ import not correct.  

Export back to LWO From fZ to see what the UV's are doing in Modo (it is easier to see what is happening in Modo)  

Save again from Modo so that a direct comparison with the Good UV.LWO can be made.

The difference.   The Good file  does what it is supposed to.   I figured you can do a file compare to see how they are different.   Both saved out from modo so you can get a more direct comparison.

I don't own Light Wave.... the LWO is just has been a good format to use in the past   (MODO's developers are Ex-NewTek/Light Wave Developers)

Thank you!

P.S. 1   I am thinking that the newest MODO has an updated LWO format, as there are other weirdnesses (hard to explain)   but the exact same behavior is showing up in 6.x  that I never had before.

P.S. 2   FBX does not work either, but it is different again from the LWO.

Hi Chris,

I am still not sure we are any closer to identifying the cause of the problem.  We import your Good.LWO file, Export as LWO, and produce another good one.

We import the Bad.LWO file into another program and it is bad there.  So, we need to identify what causes the file to become bad, and then determine if that would be as expected, or not...

Can you start with the Good file and make it Bad somehow?

Can you start with the Good file and make it Bad somehow?

Yes.    when I export the file from formZ... the issues then go with the file.   I do NOT produce another good one.

Question is, does the import work for you?  Can you send me an image of the approximate view that I provided, so I can compare?

And to be clear... it is NOT a fZ Export problem...      I care about how it looks IN formZ.

Hi Chris,

I Import the Good file.  Export that as LWO with the default options (Export Textures checked), and then Import the resulting file.   That file is fine too.  Is that not the case for you?

If not, if you test with default prefs, and no third party plugins, do you still reproduce the problem?

Here we have imported your Good file (on the left), Exported as LWO, and Imported that file (on the right).  They look the same to me.  Do you see a difference?

post-5-0-73000900-1464111602_thumb.jpg

Archived