AutoDesSys

no way to delete topology directly.

¢hris £und

in 6.x  It used to be that one could delete topology directly.     now the topology has to be selected fist, then the tool selected, then deleted.

this is exceptionally cumbersome, especially without ever knowing if I should be using the tool, or if the delete key will work.  

I have yet to figure out the logic of it.  There are times when the delete key will delete more than the topology selected (sometimes it works fine)  and other times the Delete Geometry tool deletes more than the topology selected( and sometimes it works as expected)  It seems as if one doesn't work, the other will.

A lot of time is wasted flitting around to figure out what will work.

This could be put under request, but this is really a bug.

post-9803-0-33788300-1461808659_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris,

The Delete Tool will Delete Topology, and with Auto Pick, and the Control Key you can directly delete Faces or Segments.  The Delete Geometry Tool works in the same way to Delete the Topology.  If you are just using the Delete key, then yes, this will Delete Topology, but does using the Delete Geometry Tool do what you want?

(If not, please post a file where this works in earlier versions but not the current version so we can take a look.)

I will check on that.  but that only covers the second part of the issue.

in the first part part of the issue...    in 6.x   I used to be able to choose the tool,  and go and click on segments or points by clicking on them.   now everything is Pre-Pick

BTW, where is the Auto Pick feature?  I only find a preference that says auto select new elements...  but I don't want that, and I am working on old elements.

Hi Chris,

Try this:

Draw a cube, get either Delete tool, hold down the CTRL key (Win) or Command key (Mac) and click on an Edge, or click on a Face.

Does that not Post Pick Delete the part you want?

No,  I have to double click.   Yay, repetitive stress syndrome.

Too, no the the delete Geometry tool, behaves like the delete geometry tool of 6.x, not the delete topology tool.    There were 3 Delete tools in 6.x,  now there are 2.

That simple box you had me create for the other issue... it doesn't work on it. Too much is getting deleted.   Do you need me to post a box?

I am usually deleting faces and points, not whole faces.   And usually working on surface objects, which is when I start to see the inconstancy between methods.

Chris,

If you have the Edit Menu: 2 Click Face Selection option checked -- then you will need to click twice to define whether you want to pick a segment or a face.  Just uncheck that option if you want a single click to pick.

The "Regular" Delete tool should Delete Topology no?

Yes, please post a file if something is not deleting as you would like, and include a "before and after" as well as a description (or picture) of what you want to delete, and what you expect as the result -- so we can help.

It isn't checked, and I am still having to click twice.  

""  The "Regular" Delete tool should Delete Topology no?  ""   No.   on the cube example,  if you select one face,  and use the "regular" delete,  two adjoining faces go away.   in 6.x   it would become one single face, albeit a nonplanar one.   (which is what I NEED)

Will post a file soon

Files attached.   only a 6.x fz file is attached.     Point being,  when I want to delete a segment,  only that segment should be removed.   currently, all adjoining geometry is also removed.     Behave the same when removing points...  I only want the point removed, not every associated face.

Delete Topology.fmz.zip

post-9803-0-28408400-1461865958_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris,

Ok, the results appear the same in Wireframe but are technically slightly different.  Why is it you prefer the v6 result over the v8 result?   (The v8 result looks "more correct" to me...)

Slightly different, but with huge implications when working.

It isn't a matter of being more correct, it is a matter of functional need.  it probably is correct for the delete tool, or the delete key.   But, the delete topology tool should just delete to selected topology

and nothing beyond it.

When working with complicated flat patterns, a good portion of the work is in "re-flowing" the pattern.  Often, but not always, this is because triangulation does not add segments where I need them to be.

Another, when intersecting two compound curved objects where their seams do not naturally align.  This is done so that the production crew have an easier time with assembly, and it also has a better aesthetic appeal.

I want the pattern, but to just flow in a different direction.  This involves removing segments  and points then adding segments and points manually.  Currently, I end up having to rebuild those sections manually instead of just a segment.  A very simplified example with the box and removing point is attached as well as a more complicated that I am working on now.

Regarding the examples attached here;  the box example is not very useful when being used to thinking architecturally, as there are other simpler ways of achieving the same thing, but then try to use that same thinking on the other example. Reflowing is necessary for ease of construction and aesthetics.   It is a hell of a lot of work, only made larger with these issues.   This job has 265 patterns, with the greater majority re-flowed somewhere.

What is needed, is the 3 delete options back.   What I propose, is an option in the dialog of the delete geometry tool to give a delete topology (of the 6.x style)  and of course, to have that option be able to be a key shortcut accessible   (where it could be set that one key shortcut enters the tool with one option, and another shortcut enters the tool with the other option,  (ƒunction overloading?))  

or, just give back the delete topology tool altogether.

Better yet, all this MAY be completely moot if you add a tool to flat pattern (approximations) compound curved objects.  As, that would completely change the workflow.

Ah, flat patterning... brings up another topic... Stay tuned for another thread.

post-9803-0-02369800-1461892721_thumb.jpg

post-9803-0-20320000-1461892722_thumb.png

Here is a video showing the inconsistency.   I am deliberately going slow, flipping back between select segment and the delete tool (I would usually use the delete key, but they behave the same)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2x5hc25bwnaw7e/ScreenFlow.mp4?dl=0

Also, double checked,  the cmd-delete, does NOT work with a single click.  And, there are other issues with this as well.  It used to be I could control exactly what I was deleting by choosing the topology.  Now, I can easily miss and delete a polygon, when I only want to delete a segment.

DelTopo_incons.fmz.zip

Hi Chris,

Ok, yes, now we understand, we will see what we can do.  For the cube example that you show, one way to do this currently would be to move the point to the opposite corner on the top of the cube, insert the desired segment, and fix the zero area face with the Object Doctor.  That would be faster than what you show for your method, but that may not help in all cases.

For Deleting taking more than one click, we have only reproduced this if the Edit Menu: 2 Click Face Selection option is checked.  You don't have that checked, do you?

Yes, the box was just an example using the motif that we were already using.

Your suggestion would work, if I don't want the point there, but when removing segments, and when I do want the point to remain... not so good.

Also, when a need to move a point beyond an existing (or crossing over geometry_would be the desired position,) again, not so good

Uploading a high quality video for you to see.

Tech,   Please observe.  Video link attached.

I think I am getting interference with the "Set View"  navigation, but I don't have any of the options I can see set to a Cmd-Click... and if I drag... nothing happens.

Presumably, I will get the same kind of interference with any other tool that allows the Cmd-click modifier.   (What else will work with it, to test)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pueuhe59tymevlk/Delete%20This.mov?dl=0

Sorry for the low res, the file I am uploading looks fine.

post-9803-0-58193100-1461962971_thumb.png

post-9803-0-03786300-1461962973_thumb.png

post-9803-0-56102900-1461962974_thumb.png

post-9803-0-88282800-1461962977_thumb.png

Archived