AutoDesSys

Slightly O.T. but interesting and important.

Alan Cooper

This is about Autocad. I am posting this link as I want to say I hope FormZ doesn't take this route. I am sure it is of interest to many of us.

I actually see this as an opportunity to attract A.C. users who are cheesed off by the change and may be looking to take a new route.

http://www.deskeng.com/de/autocad-2017-a-new-beginning/?utm_content=bufferbcb6e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=plus.google.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Oh I am sure this is coming. 

Its just a better model for developing software - and if you like the software, you'll likely, grudgingly, get on board.

We already have the family plan. its not much different, except there is a choice.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the permanent license model. I camped out on FormZ 6 for, like a decade!

But that's exactly why it is likely to go subscription only.

BTW ( am an Autocad user and we have the annual renewal subscription)

I still can't use FormZ layout for professional work so Autocad it is.

Bart

People still use AutoCAD?   ;)

I know people who have used or are using bootlegged copies of Autocad and other big name design packages, not necessarily the latest version though. Their high pricing encourages bootlegging because they feel justified due to the pricing being unreasonable, especially for users who don't use it every day and can't justify or afford the big spend. I think maybe this is the main reason for the change to subscription model, as well as the fact that over the longer term they will extract more money from their users.

I am glad FormZ pricing structure is reasonable and realistic for average users often with micro businesses. There are cheaper options like Sketchup but for the little extra, I much prefer FormZ and hope it remains available on the perpetual license, which keeps it available for occasional users and even retired hobbyists and part time workers, and as we have an increasingly ageing population, that is quite a consideration.

http://www.draftsight2016.com

For those who only need it occasionally.  Essentially free AutoCAD (probably more like AutoCAD light).  Not sure if the free version is supposed to be for commercial use technically.

Yeah, but for those looking for a crippled design package there is FormZ free, which is actually pretty generous with the included features, and it is one of the few that can legitimately be used for commercial purposes.

Oh I am sure this is coming. 

Its just a better model for developing software - and if you like the software, you'll likely, grudgingly, get on board.

We already have the family plan. its not much different, except there is a choice.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the permanent license model. I camped out on FormZ 6 for, like a decade!

But that's exactly why it is likely to go subscription only.

BTW ( am an Autocad user and we have the annual renewal subscription)

I still can't use FormZ layout for professional work so Autocad it is.

Bart

Please correct me if I'm wrong but Form Z family plan is very different. As far as i know, you can't use Family Plan without purchasing the perpetual full license, and if you don't renew Family Plan, you can continue to use the last version you had on Family Plan forever. Isn't that a huge difference compared to getting on board with Autocad for an initial small layout, handy for new businesses and ex graduates, but the moment they stop paying, they have nothing left to use until they start paying again? It sort of sounds attractive stated like that......until you consider how expensive the monthly sums are.

Sorry for the confusion, 

I am sure ADS will reply with the official answer.

My point was that IF you are inclined to get a Family Plan ( FormZ) or the Maintenance Subscription ( AutoCAD)  - which, as you say, includes the purchase of a perpetual License AND the yearly upgrades. Then you are likely the kind of customer that really supports the ongoing development of the software.

If you are the kind of customer who buys a perpetual license and upgrades it every 7-10 years ( as I was) then you are likely the kind of customer a company is less interested in keeping around.

In an effort to cater to those "supportive" customers ( and more importantly keep a more stable income stream)- a lot of software businesses are moving to subscription only models

For the folks that pay for family plans already, that's not too big of a deal. For the others, it kinda sucks.

Seeing the writing on the wall ( e.g. Adobe and Autodesk moving to subscription only) I would get yourself emotionally prepared for ADS to do the same some day. not soon, but, someday.

just my opinion

Bart

Sorry for the confusion, 

I am sure ADS will reply with the official answer.

My point was that IF you are inclined to get a Family Plan ( FormZ) or the Maintenance Subscription ( AutoCAD)  - which, as you say, includes the purchase of a perpetual License AND the yearly upgrades. Then you are likely the kind of customer that really supports the ongoing development of the software.

If you are the kind of customer who buys a perpetual license and upgrades it every 7-10 years ( as I was) then you are likely the kind of customer a company is less interested in keeping around.

In an effort to cater to those "supportive" customers ( and more importantly keep a more stable income stream)- a lot of software businesses are moving to subscription only models

For the folks that pay for family plans already, that's not too big of a deal. For the others, it kinda sucks.

Seeing the writing on the wall ( e.g. Adobe and Autodesk moving to subscription only) I would get yourself emotionally prepared for ADS to do the same some day. not soon, but, someday.

just my opinion

Bart

Thanks Bart for the clarification.

Apart from Auto Cad's high prices, the bit I really dislike is the carrot to relinquish the perpetual license in exchange for an introductory period of the rental of a license system at a discount. It is a comforting feeling to me that I own a version of FormZ pro so at any point I may not want to continue with Family Plan, (although it is likely I will continue) it will always be available to me. Same with Sketchup, I have version 8 pro which I haven't used in ages but nice to know it is there to use should I ever have the need. Same with Turbocad v21 platinum, mainly because I want to retain access to files I created in it several years ago. Perhaps Autodesk think that by charging such a lot for lending mandatory latest version of Autocad, people won't be able to afford any thing else in addition, so they are cornering some customers to remain 100% loyal by financial squeeze. A further disadvantage is that occasional users will presumably waste time getting to grips with changes instead of working with what they find familiar.

Archived