AutoDesSys

Lately a few things in formZ have not been behaving as I expect.

1. Files grow for apparently no reason: yesterday I became frustrated that it was taking (what seemed like) an unreasonably long time to save. I checked and the model file size had inexplicably grown to 68mb so I copied and pasted everything into new project and saved and the new file size had dropped to 5mb. Today the model continues to grow inexplicably so I continue to cut and paste to reduce the size.

2. Toggling: When I toggle layers on and off I have to click to gray then wait a moment then click to off. Used to be able to double-click (or at least click twice in short succession) to toggle layers, no waiting.

3. Materials Palette: when I add a new material, if the palette is set to large icons and the new material starts a new row it is not selectable. I should say it starts out selected but if I select another material and then try to select it again I can't; however if I change to list or small icon view I can select it. I have the palette set to four columns wide so if I create five new materials then the fifth is unselectable but the other four (in the row above) now are, i.e., it's the last row created that's the trouble.

Since I haven't read that anyone else is having these issues I'm guessing it's something in my setup--perhaps my preferences got corrupted?--but I don't know, hopefully one of you does. 

iMac 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1600 MHz, El Cap (10.11.3)

Hi ArchX

Sorry you are having "weirdness." 

1.  You are not saving Undos in the file, are you?  Or are you accumulating a lot of Ghosted or other objects that you are not pasting to the new project?  If neither of those are the cause, please send one of the inflated files to us so we can take a look.

2.  Yes, with v8.5.3 there is an issue toggling items in the list palettes.  This will be fixed soon with the next update.

3.  We have not heard of this one before.  If you reset your Workspace or Preferences, does that affect it?  Or if not, can you post a file where you encounter this, along with a screen capture of your Materials Palette so we can look into this further?

A/X

1, have not had a problem

2, An object with 59k polygons  that turns on and off in a timely manner  (other objects on other layers)

tried in Wire, Shaded work, and Shaded full.

3, Just tested.  no issues either (though I do have others with the material dock)

When these deep problems occur,  you can test the issues by renaming the preferences folder in the Library of your user account.

cmd-shift-G    then enter  

/Library/Preferences

into the text field

then look for "Autodesys"   and rename it,  don't delete it yet, as if this does not fix your issues, rename it back to have your preferences working agin.

Also on a Mac (different config)

Tech,

1. Hmm, I did change something in Undo preferences a while back, I believe I deselected "Reset after Saving Project." I toggled that back on, is that what you mean?

2. OK, thanks.

3. Let me try those and I will report back.

Chris,

I'll try your suggestion too.

thanks!

Hello archX -- I have the same problem when I toggle layer visibility. Try this: Click to toggle layer visibility but don't release the click. Instead hold and drag the mouse out of the layers palette and then release.

You can read some more here:

OK, so selecting "reset after saving project" seems to have stopped the file size issue, whew.

After renaming prefs folder and relaunching fZ materials palette was 6 (large icon) columns wide and worked as normal. Just to test I shrank palette to 4 columns and weirdness returned, last row not selectable for materials created after file was opened... BUT... if I drag and widen palette to 5 columns again last row materials immediately selectable again. Moral of story: keep palette 5 columns or wider ; ) 

thanks for help everyone!

Hi Andre,

Yes, as we noted above, this issue has been fixed for the next update.

Hi ArchX,

We don't have any issues with a 4 column Material Palette.  Can you post a file where you encounter this, along with a screen capture of your Materials Palette so we can look into this further?  (You should be able to make the palette any size you like, and if we can reproduce an issue, we can get it corrected...)

Hi ArchX

If you ZIP it and use the More Reply Options (from the lower right) you can attach a file, but there is a 5 Mb limit for the forum.  You could either simplify it (do you need any objects in the file to reproduce the problem?), or you could email it to support@formz.com (or if it is too big for email, use any FTP service like "Dropbox" or other).

Apparently I have not fixed the file size upward creep, the model was 10.5mb which reduced to 5.5mb after I cut and pasted into a new project.

I deleted the doors and windows (which were largely imported from sketchup) to bring the file size down 3.3mb. 

model1.fmz.zip

post-11216-0-12809000-1459527047_thumb.png

Hi ArchX,

Thanks for posting the screen capture and file.  It seems that this can occur when using a very tall Materials Palette with certain proportions.  

Thanks for your report, we will get this corrected.

Archived