AutoDesSys

Cannot simply select materials that are in groups.

¢hris £und

So, I decided to get organized....      I put materials into groups,  but when they are in the group, I cannot simply click on the material to select it.

I have to right click to bring up the contextual drop down, and mouse to "Active" to get it to select.

I hope this is a bug, because this does not make any sense what so ever.

There is no value in getting organized if it forces more effort.

Also,  boy it sure would be nice to be able to get some kind of visual reference of what is inside the groups.   Yes, in large icon view, you can see the text, but not appealing.  

For now, I am going back to my mess

post-9803-0-05808900-1459031014_thumb.png

Chris,

You should be able to directly select Materials inside of Groups.  I find it easiest to use the List view for working with complex Materials / Groups.  You can then select multiple materials by selecting them on the right so you can easily drag them to the desired group, or if you want to make the Material Active, just click the little "red dot" icon to the left of the name of the desired material.

Does that help you get what you want?

I don't know why, but it was not working, but now is (in Icon view, sorry should have noted that)

I Use the list, but I like to work fast so aiming for that little target slows me down.  Also, The position of my pallet isn't conducive for a list (up next to the tool dock( which I would love it if it could be added to the tool dock so to get rid of the title bar for that pallet.)   Perfect size is the small icon.

I will take this opportunity to report some more oddness.

1.  Right clicking to add a group (or anything with the contextual menu), automatically adds a material (yes, I want the preference set to add an item if clicked on an empty space)

2. When in a group, and you want to add a NEW material to the group, and single click on an empty space, it adds the material , but outside of the group.

Again, not sure why activating the materials is working now. I goofed around a lot with it, a reboot even.  different files etc...

Thanks!

¢£

post-9803-0-48592400-1459099451_thumb.png

Hi Chris,

We have verified that adding a Material inside a Group adds it to the main level.  Thanks for your report, we will see if this can be adjusted.

We are not having any trouble with selecting materials with the file you have posted.  Does anyone else have any issues with that?

how about right clicking on empty space?  does that give you an extra material?  

Too, it might be nice to have the materials pallet a double click (as an option)  everywhere else I love the single click, but I for what ever reason find it overly easy to get "extra" material.s

thanks!

Just figured out what is going on.

if in the List view, the disclose arrow is closed, then I cannot pick materials in the Icon views.  if it is open, then I can.

In the image below  the Group "Pattern Breakouts"   will not Pick,  but  the "Pattern Smith" will.

Thanks!

post-9803-0-94209900-1459443601_thumb.png

I'm also finding it hard to select or modify materials. Anything and everything on the Palette Dock has on odd behavior and I think it's connected to the same problem with the mouse clicking that I have when I'm toggling layer visibility. Sometimes I need to right click on a material within a group to be able to edit it and it does't always update until I right click on it again. 

Archived