AutoDesSys

Displacement tool

DMclean

Is there a tutorial or a better explanation than the manual for use of the displacement tool with objects other than a plane? I just find that working within the dialog box things never seem to do what I think they are going to do. The controller within the window looks like it should move and rotate the plane of the displacement map, but most of the time when I select it or try to alter it nothing happens. Obviously I'm just not getting something fundamental about the tool.

I've got a rectangular object that has a rock texture mapped on it. I want to use the texture to create displaced geometry. That should be relatively simple. I can create displacement in the render in Maxwell, but in this case I would actually like to create geometry.

It would be nice to be able to just use the texture as it's applied to create the displacement, which is what essentially happens in Maxwell. Or to be able to see the map in the displacement dialog as you manipulate it (or try to in my case).

Any help or tutorials that anyone knows of/

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug,

Currently the location of the Displacement Controller needs to be set Numerically, so if you have your Texture already set where you want, and if you just copy those values into the Displacement, does that give you what you want?

(We will see if we can enable graphic editing of this in the future.)

It likely will... I'll give it a try... it's just frustrating because the way Texturing works is just so damn good that anything else pales... I so rarely use numerical entry now... also because the texture is just a general purpose one and not specific to the object it's nice just to be able to scale it by eye, especially in the early stages of sketching out an idea.... I'll look forward to the future...

Thanks,

Doug

Archived