AutoDesSys

Huge LWO files

DMclean

Lightwave files have always seemed a bit large when exported from formZ, but I've had a recent experience that is truly weird. I was trying to export a fairly large model and wasn't having much success so broke it down into what I thought would be much more manageable sizes. But, even at that, relatively small fmZ files (around 50 MB) are producing monstrous 1.5 GB LWO files. When (and if I can) I load them into Lightwave, and then save them out, the new LWO file size drops down to 5.8 MB.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug,

We tested exporting a number of files to LWO and are getting files with normal sizes.  If you have Components in the file, these will all be exploded, and / or if you have Smooth objects, these will all be Facetted  based on their Display Resolution settings, or the Export Option: Override settings if you are using those.

If that doesn't give you the clue as to why your files are so large, can you please send a FMZ file, along with a screen capture of your Export Options so we can take a look?

I am uploading a file called BOOKS-1.zip by ftp. I contains a directory which has in it...

The Exported Texture image files

BOOKS.fmz -  the model 50.1MB

BOOKS.lwo - the export from fmz a file that reports as 1.53GB

BOOKS-fromLW.lwo - the lwo file opened in LWave and then Saved As - reports as 5.8MB

Note that the .zip file itself measures in at 153MB in spite of having the 1.53GB file inside it????????

Running latest formZ on MacPro 5.1 dual processor 12core OS X Yosemite.

The discrepancy between the reported LWO size and the ZIP file makes me suspicious....

Here are my export settings, but I think all the objects have already been faceted... 

Would love to see what is up with this...

Thanks,

Doug

post-20-0-35549900-1457106231_thumb.png

Hi Doug,

Thanks for uploading your files.  If we check the Linked Files, there are supposed to be JPG image map files linked, but the ones that are included are PNG format instead.  Then Exporting with Textures makes the huge file.  Exporting without textures, or Coloring everything white and then Exporting with Textures results in a very small file.

We are still investigating this, and if there is any other info (other than it is related to the textures), we will report back.  Otherwise, we will just get this corrected for the future.   ;)

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

The original linked textures were jpg but the exports were png. I didn't include the jpg's because they were across several different directories (they came from Maxwell textures) and I didn't want to take the time to gather them together. I can if it would be useful. But that shouldn't account for the weird export size. Exporting the same file to a FBX or OBJ with textures still creates a reasonable size file, only the LWO inflates to 1.5GB. I also wonder whether it is actually that large or there is some error within the file structure that is causing that. When that 1.5GB file was inside the ZIP, it virtually disappeared in terms of size.

D

Archived