AutoDesSys

Switchback stairs... huh?

-andrew-

Basically: I can't get these things to work as expected...

Let's say I have a 16' x 16' stairwell that's 12' deep.

I need the top tread to start at the edge of the opening, and only have a landing where the stairs turn.

The stairs should be 6' wide.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get this to work - when I change the "width" (from 4' to anything else) the proportions start getting all weird.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Did you want to make something like this?

post-5-0-52280000-1450553925_thumb.jpg

If something is not working for you, perhaps you can post a simple file of what you are getting, and a description of what you want instead so we can better understand?

Hi Andrew,

If you need a custom configuration, then you may need to model or adapt an existing stair to get exactly what you want.  For example, if you make a stair that is longer than you want by the extra width of the stair, you could then cut it off (section or other) at the landing location to have the stair end where you want.  Or you could make a stair tread and multi-copy it to generate the desired steps...

Ok - well, the tool has some great potential... would be a nice start to adjust it so that removing a landing doesn't change its base dimensions.

Can you advise what rules the stairs follow, so I can potentially include the depth of the runner in the overall size?

thanks,

Andrew

Archived