AutoDesSys

Can you join and fill objects?

Kevin

I'm not too sure the best way to describe this but I'm attempting to recreate a watch in FormZ 8.5 and I'm getting hung up on where the band joins the watch face. I was able to create the general shape by creating a couple curved faces for the top and bottom and then lofting the two to get the sides. The problem now is that I would like to join the three individual pieces in a manner that I could then use boolean operations and other reshaping tools to build out the watch shape.

More likely than not, I'm attempting to go about the process in a backward way but any assistance would be appreciated. I have attached a couple screen captures of what I currently have and a photo of what I'm trying to achieve. Thank you.

post-231-0-82262500-1447733812_thumb.jpg

Use the stitch tool Kevin. Once they are all stitched together it will then be a solid which can be used in boolean operations. One thing, if you already have solids (I think your face frame is a solid), then you can't stitch a solid to a face. Stitch the other surfaces which are not already solids to create other solids if you get my drift.

You should consider using the thicken tool on the strap connector as an alternative.

The model looks good so far..

Des

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll definitely give that a go today.

I had originally tried to use the thicken tool but, it's hard to see in the image, there are some interesting angles that occur on the sides of the watch. By thickening the pieces and trying to join them that way, I ended up with some odd seams and ridges.

Thanks again though. Hopefully it works out!

Hi Kevin,

The band is “just ever so slightly off” where it meets the top of the watch face which is causing tolerance inconsistencies that prevent the Boolean from completing properly.  If you just move the band section (after it has been Stitched) down 0.01, then it should Union properly.

Does that help?

Thanks for the quick response, and your suggestion did work. Is there an easy way to figure out why I got that error should it arise again in the future? Considering the objects were intersecting, I didn't think that it would matter.

Now that I know what I need to do though, I can rework the objects a bit in order to achieve what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help.

Hi Kevin,

If you zoom in close from a Side View where the band meets the bezel, you will see that there is an extremely tiny mis-alignment:

post-5-0-46667600-1447797359_thumb.jpg

As you get closer and closer to the center of the watch, this gap gets smaller and smaller, but never goes away.  This is causing the tolerance inconsistency that results in the error message.

By moving it down a small amount, this resolves the tolerance inconsistency, and allows it to succeed.  (Ideally, these should either be exactly aligned, or have a sufficient gap, not just slightly off.)

Does that help?

Archived