AutoDesSys

FormZ: menu bar but nothing else works

Steve Price

Today I launched FormZ 8.5 as usual but there was no splash screen and when fully launched only the menu bar displays—no palettes, no workspace, no nothing. The menus are non-functional. I tried reseting All Workspaces and even downloaded formZ 8.5 again from http://www.formz.com/products/formz/formz85_Pro_Update_App_Only.html and reinstalled, but no go.   I can launch normally functioning formZ Imager and formZ Layout, but not formZ. Has anyone else had this experience?

Hi Steve,

Sorry you are having trouble.   If you reset formZ to factory defaults, does this fix it for you?  You can do this by Quitting formZ and renaming the autodessys folder.  (Just add an X to the end of the name of the folder.)

On a Mac, click on the Desktop, click on the Go Menu, hold down the Option key, choose the Library folder that appears below HOME, then go to Library: Preferences:

On Windows, this is located in C:\users\[uSER]\AppData\Roaming\

(Note that [uSER] is the  name with which you log onto your computer, and if you don't see the App Data folder, you can show this by going to the Windows Explorer: Tools Menu: Folder Options: View Tab -- and choosing Show Hidden Files, and clicking OK.)

Don't forget to quit formZ first, and when you relaunch formZ it will automatically recreate a new autodessys folder with default settings.  Then if you decide you no longer need the old autodessysX folder, you can delete that at any time.

Does this help?

i have the same Problem - but in another constelation. I have installed 6.7.3 and 8.5 pro and since today when opening 8.5 all palettes are missing. I have renamed the Folder a month ago with "x" and it worked till now. What should i do now? Create a Folder named "xx" and next month "xxx" and so on?

Dear Steve & Walter,

First, make sure that you are NOT running formZ when you rename the folder.  

Once you are back up and running, you can load Key Shortcuts from the renamed folder if necessary.  When it is no longer needed, you can delete the X folder.

You should NOT have to do this -- but we are not aware of any way to make this happen.  If you have it happen more than once and you can determine what it is that you are doing to cause it, if you can communicate that to us so that we can reproduce it here, then we can fix it...

I shut down my computer, restarted, renamed the autodessys folder, and then launched FormZ. Still it is entirely non-functional. It shows up in the menu bar, but that's it. After downloading and installing it again, I got an alert that a new “formZ.app” can’t be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed.

I forced it to launch by clicking on it's icon while holding down the Control key and choosing Open. Not sure that that would make any difference. It didn't.

Hi Steve,

The "Identity cannot be confirmed" issue can occur if your computer is not currently able to connect to Apple's authentication server, and either temporarily adjusting the system prefs: security settings to allow all apps, or right clicking as you did should work around this.

Are you SURE that formZ was not running when you renamed the folder?

I just figured out the problem. In OS X I went into the Systems Preferences/Security & Privacy and selected Anywhere in the Allow apps downloaded from: section. After that FormZ launched with full functionality. I've since changed my selection from Anywhere to Mac App Store and identified developers. It still launches correctly. I had visited a local Apple Store last week where a staff person at the Genius Bar must have changed the settings somehow.

All is good now.

Hi Steve,

Adjusting the System Prefs: Security Settings to allow apps from anywhere could allow formZ to begin launching.  (It should launch if you have it set to "identified developers" but there has been an occasional glitch with the Apple Servers that requires changing that.)  However, this setting should not allow formZ to launch 90% of the way -- and then stop after the Menu bars are visible.  That would be caused by something else, potentially the prefs...  Glad you got it working though...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back to my original problem. FormZ launches but nothing is functional. The menu bars show, but nothing works. I can't even quit the program because "Quit FormZ" is greyed out. I tried changing the Security Settings in my Systems Preferences on my Mac, but it doesn't work this time. Any new insights on this problem?

That didn't help. I ran DiskUtility which said that I have a disk problem. I also ran Apple Diagnostics which said I have a battery problem. Looks more and more like a hardware glitch explains my problem. Meanwhile I need to get work done and don't have the luxury of sending off my computer for repair . . . unless I can install a copy of FormZ on an iMac that I have. How many installations can I do with my license?

Hi Steve,

A single user license allows you to install on any 2 computers and run 1 at a time.  If you need to move a license to a new computer (i.e., you got a new computer, or one is going in for repair), send us the MAC Address of either the computer you want to keep, or the one you want to remove, and we can adjust your records accordingly.

Archived