AutoDesSys

Some windows bugs, 8.5

pfschuyler

Overall I'm pretty happy with 8.5, but here are some bugs I found:

• Exporting an image from a shaded viewport has problems.  This is the case with different resolutions and different formats.  Hidden line and doodle work OK whereas the shaded modes and wireframe modes have issues.  PNG crashes the program while JPG just produces strange content.
  • If you place a window on a model using the Mirror option of the window component, it looks fine in the viewports.  However in Layout the mirrored window will not appear only the 1st way (the mirrored window will not be mirrored).  Using the FormZ 1/2 arched window this happens, as well as with any mirrored window or door (not appearing correct in Layout).

Thanks,

Paul Schuyler

Windows 10 64 Bit pro

3.2.0 NVIDIA 355.83 (GTX 770)

i7-2600K

Also, in Windows 10 there appears to be some difficulty sending Automated crash reports.  I have the default Windows Mail app functioning and associated with all outgoing emails, and associated with all the options available in Control Panel.  But when FormZ crashes it gives me the message that there is still no program associated for emailing.  Is there a unique file type that's used to send crash reports?  Since this is a pretty plain install I think you'll find this is important for most Windows 10 users and you might be missing tons of crash reports.

Yes, there can be an issue on certain windows computers with nvidia cards exporting images from OpenGl display modes.  ADS says there will be an update next week to fix this.

Windows Live Mail has sent the one report I had.  If you try that, does that work for you?

Hi Paul,

Yes, as Rob notes there has been an issue identified with certain Windows computers with nVidia cards and Exporting an Image with OpenGL display modes, and we will have a correction for this soon.

We are not sure why you would not be able to automatically send a crash report and it is working properly with the default Windows 10 Mail Client for us:

post-5-0-77851200-1441736647_thumb.jpg

If you try installing Windows Live Mail, does that work better for you?

I can confirm that the export image problem is not only with NVIDIA Graphics cards.  I have FormZ installed on my laptop at home, here are the specs of that machine:  Lenovo Thinkpad Twist, Intel HD Graphics 4000, Intel Core i7-3517U Processor, 8GB PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3.  So there is no onboard graphics card (no NVIDIA)...the graphics are the built-in HD 4000.  However it delivers the same exact symptoms as my main desktop when exporting images.

The laptop uses Windows 10 Home 64 Bit, the desktop uses Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.  Also, as mentioned in another thread neither system will print, at all....from either modeler or Layout.  After launching a print, nothing happens, nothing shows up in the printer cue.  I've tried it with 2 PDF printers on both systems, and a total of 3 external printers with the same result.

PS

Hi Gentlemen,

We should now have an "in-house" solution for this issue.  If you would like to test / use this version before the patch is available, please send an email to support@formz.com and we can send you a link.

Paul,

Not sure if this will also address your print issue,  but it might.   (If not, we can discuss that in the other thread you started for that issue.)

The temporary patch worked for image exports from the viewports.  

Regarding those crash reports in Windows 10, I've changed a few things but don't know if its working.  When there's a crash there appears a dialog box which asks if I want to save, or not save etc...then afterwards FormZ just disappears.  Before, after this step there was a message box referring to a (missing) default email app.  

Q- When working correctly, are crash reports sent transparently, or do they pull up your default email app with a draft email, ready for sending?

Hi PF,

Great, good to hear the Export Image issue is solved for you.  Regarding the crash reporter, when you relaunch, you should be asked if you want to send the report.  If your mail software is not running, it should launch and send the message automatically if it is configured correctly.  We have not received any crash reports from you, but if you install Windows Live Mail (desktop app), and set this as the default, does that then allow you to send the report?

I'd like to get that resolved, but in Windows 10 I'm not sure Windows Live works the same.  The closest thing I can find online as a regular PC install is this:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29224.  But this seems pertinent to past versions of windows only.  Windows 10 includes a new Mail and Calendar app that is installed by default.  That's what I've been using by default which is associated with email.  The new Windows Store (from within Windows 10) does not seem to have an app for Windows Live. I'm pretty sure the whole Windows Live system has been completely restructured, and integrated into the OS with user accounts, etc.  There is the Windows Live version accessible via the web, but that won't launch from FormZ I believe.  What do you think?  

Hi Paul,

Well, we have both the default Microsoft Mail for Windows 10, and Windows Live Mail on Windows 10 properly sending reports.  We are looking into what could potentially prevent this from sending properly, but we haven't found a cause yet.  Are you working in a corporate environment that may prevent the automated sending of messages, or do you have any of your own security programs that would be preventing that?  And if that does not help you find a solution, can you email us a screen capture of exactly what happens, and any error messages that you might be getting?

Archived