AutoDesSys

Texture files changed in Editor not updating

DMclean

This may be a bit convoluted...

Had an object with three textures being applied called diffuse.tga alpha.tga and normal.tga... Because I had several objects like this (in different directories) and the texture files were overwriting each other when I exported them I went into each directory and renamed the files as OBJ01-COLOR.tga OBJ01-ALPHA.tga and OBJ01-NRM.tga. Loaded the model into formZ, and edited the texture for the object, changing the map for each of the appropriate channels, within the Materials Editor. All looked good. Saved the file.

Re-opened the file and went into Materials editor. Looked at the Color tab and all seemed well. Clicked on the little file icon, and up comes the formZ logo instead of the proper preview... never a good sign. Puzzled, I went to Project Info Linked files and find that the "linked" files are still called diffuse.tga alpha.tga and normal.tga and obviously are missing.

Relinked within Project Info by pointing at the new files.

Saved the file.

Re-opened and the all was well. Links were now to the proper files.

Please get this fixed ASAP. While it isn't a major problem with these tiny files I'm working on right now, not being able to depend on changes I'm making in the material editor being retained when I save and exit the model could be disastrous for me. I could easily lose days of work without even realizing it, since everything appeared to be fine. Within the model all the textures were still displaying and looked fine. It was a only when I went to link to the specific file that I discovered it. The problem only shows up when you need to refer back to the file, for example when exporting.

Thanks,

Doug

MacPro 2010 MacOSX 10.10.5 formZ 8.5.0 (Build 9647)

Just tried the same thing with one of the files using formZ 8.0.2 and it did the same thing with a slight variation. After editing the material in Material Editor one of the files was shown correctly in Linked Files (in this case the NRM file), but the other two remained with the old names. But, within the Materials Editor Color Tab (and the others), clicking on the file icon shows the correct new file link within those tabs rather than bringing up the formZ logo file. Don't know whether that info helps.

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug, 

We have found that there is an problem when re-linking a texture file in the Shaded Material Parameters where it is not automatically updating the linked file to RenderZone Materials when rendering the project. Is that the issue that you are reporting?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we will get it fixed.

After you re-link the texture in Shaded mode of the Material Parameters, try clicking on Material Type : RenderZone before saving / quitting / rendering.  Does that help?

Yes, that's the problem. Will try the  RenderZone Material click next time I do this and see if that makes a difference. I'm guessing it will. I think I recall something like that in the dark recesses of my mind now that you mention it.

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug, 

We have found that there is an problem when re-linking a texture file in the Shaded Material Parameters where it is not automatically updating the linked file to RenderZone Materials when rendering the project. Is that the issue that you are reporting?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we will get it fixed.

After you re-link the texture in Shaded mode of the Material Parameters, try clicking on Material Type : RenderZone before saving / quitting / rendering.  Does that help?

Yes indeed, clicking on Renderzone and then back to Shaded before Quitting does cause the link to update.

Thanks,

Doug

Archived