AutoDesSys

Beta 6 Export and Save As Problems

DMclean

Exported  model from Beta 6 as OBJ with Textures.

Imported OBJ back into Beta 6. FormZ asked for the first texture link, and then found the rest which is fairly normal behaviour but textures were not correctly mapped (UV maps not holding- remapped as 1' Sq). Also, all the trasparency maps were applied simply as the texture, not as the Alpha channel)

Saved model as Ver 7. Opened file in FMZ 7. None of the textures were linked. Relinked via Project Info. Textures were there and correctly mapped, but the alpha was applied simply as the texture (not the alpha channel) Had to go into the material open the transparency tab and toggle Alpha off and on. Then worked correctly.

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug,

Yes, the OBJ UV Texture issue will be fixed with the next update.  Thanks for your report.

We haven't heard of or reproduced any problems with back-saving files with transparency maps and / or linked files.  If you Save A Copy As and include all the linked texture files, does that backsave and link properly for you?

Hi Doug,

Yes, the OBJ UV Texture issue will be fixed with the next update.  Thanks for your report.

We haven't heard of or reproduced any problems with back-saving files with transparency maps and / or linked files.  If you Save A Copy As and include all the linked texture files, does that backsave and link properly for you?

Is the problem in the OBJ Export end of things? Are all the exports that I'm sending out incorrectly UV mapped, and if so what format can I currently export in that will give me properly mapped textures. I know DAE broke a while ago and am not sure whether that is now back to working properly.

If I check the "Save Images" box when doing the Save a Copy As, the file then does seem come into Ver 7  with textures properly linked. Thanks. If I can backsave to Ver 7 do DAE and OBJ both export textures properly from there?

Doug

Hi Doug,

Yes, it is an Import issue, and the current Export is fine.

And yes DAE from v7, or OBJ from either version will export properly.

Whew! Glad the export is fine. Did backsave the model to V7, but that is now crashing when trying to export the OBJ. Emailed the Crash Log to support. Looks like the DAE exported fine. Spoke too soon, now it's crashing too... Will keep testing... Did get one successful DAE export out of it... Perhaps time to reboot...

Thanks,  

Doug

Hi Doug,

Glad that is working for you.  It may be that if the file is large, the v7 export may be crashing because it can't access as much memory as is needed because it is only a 32 bit application.  Does the file export as OBJ properly for you from v8 and 8.5?

It exports "successfully" from 8 and 8.5 in that there are no crashes and the files are complete and in their appropriate directories. Unfortunately  the couple of apps that I have tried importing the files back into in house have all had texture mapping problems (Rhino Mac and Lightwave2015).Neither of these apps are the ones that the are the final destination (That's Maya and/or Unity at an outside FX House), but it has given me cause for concern, which is why I tried the re-import of the OBJ into 8.5 and saw with that problem. I haven't heard back from the FX house, but they may have just proceeded and "fixed" things on their end.

When I try importing the files into Lightwave, the model comes in and a dialog box comes up asking where to find the first texture file Texture1.tga I point to the file and all seems fine, but then I get a dialog box asking where "bin 1.0000000   normal.tga" or bin 1.00000000 texture.tga" are... where "normal" or "texture" are not distinctive enough names to find, and the bin 1.0000 prefix is totally strange. Haven't had time yet to look directly at the mL file for clues. There might be problems in that a number of my objects are using files with the same name that are located in different directories, but I would think the export would be renaming the files when they were being exported.

I'll have a look at some of that today, and hopefully I will hear back at some point from the FX people as to whether their imports were fine. Meanwhile, I'll FTP you the OBJ export of the entire model (It's big, but it's the one where the problems show up). if you want to have a look at what precipitated this.

There could be model issues because the file was pulled together from a lot of imports from different programs, and was rushed so I wasn't closely checking geo along the way, just trying to get it out the door in time. Once the export seemed okay I was thrilled, but I'm now having doubts as to whether it was okay.

Thanks for the help in tracking this down.

Doug

Gone back and had a look at the mtl file. Dialog box message from LW2015 was looking for file " -bm 1.000000 normal.png" and related to the bump maps. Since several of the materials in the formZ  model were using a file named "normal.png" and "Diffuse.png" but from different directories, my guess is that as it was being exported , the files were overwriting each other, and thus textures are incorrect.  Will try fixing those textures and see whether that helps.

Doug

As I've been exploring further I've realized that an old problem has re-emerged. When I export an OBJ with PNG Textures and the original textures use an embedded (rather than separate) Alpha, the texture saves as either two copies of the diffuse channel or two copies of the alpha channel, but nor as one of each... This was occurring in 8 for a while but got fixed.  Looks like it's back.

Doug

To solve the multiple textures using same file name problem I went back to all the original directories and renamed the files. I then went back to formZ and in the material editor linked the materials to their newly named maps. All seems okay. Saved the file closed and re-opened it.

Just out of curiosity I went to Project Info and looked at the Linked Files. None of the new links show up, the Linked files info shows all the old file links. If I go to the Material Editor the materials are linked to their newly named files, but that doesn't seemed to be reflected in the Project Info.

Doug

Archived