AutoDesSys

collada/DAE import of cameras: anyone successful?

3dworks

i am trying to import DAE scenes with cameras into FZ 8.x, but cameras in the scene are never visible as views. i seem to remember that this worked in older versions. does anyone have similar experiences? what are the limitations of this kind of file format anyway in FZ - is this not fully supported maybe?

i wish we had an alternative solution to import camera, light and in general scene data other than geometry into FZ. as an alternative to collada, especially FBX or alembic would be a way of doing so. as it is now, FZ is a one way tool in a studio pipeline if more than just geometry and surface materials need to be transferred.

markus

I long ago abandoned DAE as a feasible file transfer format. IMHO FBX is the only format that can be relied on to transfer light and camera info reliably. Any animation work we do is usually in the source app so we use Alembic less often but it's rock solid too when we do use it.

For FormZ I see FBX as a priority one requirement. Alembic less so, but definitely wouldn't complain if it was included. :)

If memory serves right, Evan Troxel (Get Method) is big on DAE so he might have some advice for you.

i agree with the FBX format being more important for FZ, we use it a lot for commercial 3d assets bought at turbosquid etc. to be imported in our lightwave scenes. when the developer is using max or maya, this is the most reliable output for other platforms, usually.

as per suggestion of paul helm from tech support i tried to replace the geometry with a cube and to flatten all hierarchies in the scene. in this case i can import cameras and lights into version 7.3.4 but not into version 8.5beta5.

at least it is a workaround, but collada import and export should work flawlessly and should be full featured.

Archived