AutoDesSys

Texture Map Shadows in Renderzone

kim

I have been trying to create a texture in Renderzone which will cast a shadow using the alpha channel.  I can get it to work in Shaded Full Option but not in Renderzone.

The Renderzone shadow is of the rectangle that the texture is on and not of the image in the texture.

Thanks

Kim

I'm no Renderzone expert as I render in outside applications but having taken a quick look it seems the trick is to apply your texture to both the colour and transparency tabs and ensure use alpha is enabled in both shaded & renderzone options. And the final trick seems to be to set shadows to 'all transparent' under the Renderzone display settings tab.

Check screen grabs below (only pay attention to the apha settings). The rendering shows an object from the component library beside an image with transparency on a flat piece of geometry (both with shadows)

15XJk.png

GHWk.png

12jkk.png

Thanks Jonmoore for your response.  I have selected all the settings as you show above but the shadows only work in shaded view but not in the Renderzone.  I have even used an image supplied by AutoDesSys.   It leaves me baffled.

Which version of FZ are you using?

Thanks. 

Kim... renderzone does not support Soft (mapped) shadow transparency... make sure you are using Hard Shadows in Light Parameters on all your lights. As Jon advised you should NOT use All Opaque in Retrace display Options. This should work. Note: if you are using transparent layered .psd files & an Alpha Channel problems can be unexpected.

Hi Kim,

Yes, as Dennis and Jon note, you need to either set your Light's Shadow Parameters to Hard Raytraced: Transparent, or set this as an override in the RenderZone Options.  Alternately, you can trace your shape (like the Realistic Tree Components) and map the image, and the Alpha Chanel will create the nice clean outline, and the traced outline can be used to generate the soft shadow...

So just to check I am following you.  The idea would be to trace with B-splines the outline of the barbed wire and then to texture map the new 2D form.  Make a component out of it and then select that the component is orientated to the view.  Is this correct?  If so the drawback here is that I am doing multiple pieces of wire, which are different lengths and some are bent.  The texture mapping of the barbed wire gives a lot of flexibility in this case, whereas the components don't - if I am correct?

Hi Kim,

The suggestion above was for flat 2d images (for example, if you need barbed wire running between fence posts).  

However,  if you need a full volumetric sculpture with continuous pieces of wire that is wrapped around the path, you should draw the desired path for the wire, generate a Helix along that path, and then sweep a simple shape along that path to generate the 3d spiraling wire.

Archived