AutoDesSys

modeling barbed wire

kim

I am trying to wrap an object with barbed wire.  Thought I could achieve this by mapping an image with a barbed wire image in Renderzone.  I cannot get this to work.  If anyone has some ideas and willing to share, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Kim

post-75-0-39700600-1437751259_thumb.jpg

This modelling video may be for Maya but can follow the same techniques using FormZ's tools. The twist deformer in the Reshape tool group will do most of the heavy lifting. And the helix tools in the Derive 2 tools group is the other key tool of choice.

Hope this helps.

If the main focus of your rendering is the barbed wire itself, then modeling it may be justified, but if it is a small part of a larger scene, then you should definitely map it.  What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Thanks Ztech and Jonmoore for responding to my question.  I will look at modeling the barbed wire but would also like to know how one would go about texture mapping a strand of barbed wire onto a spline.  Is this at all possible?

Thanks

Kim

As a separate thought and Tech it would be good to get your thoughts on this as I don't ever use Renderzone or image mapping in general within FormZ.

Would it not be possible to apply the barbed wire image to flat cards (billboard type geometry) with an alpha channel for transparency (PNG's or such like). It's certainly how I'd go about it in other packages. No different really to the manner in which people/vegetation components function.

Yes, if you have a picture of the wire already curving as you would like, you could map it to a flat plane and use an alpha channel transparency.  That would definitely be the easiest if it did what you want...

This modelling video may be for Maya but can follow the same techniques using FormZ's tools. The twist deformer in the Reshape tool group will do most of the heavy lifting. And the helix tools in the Derive 2 tools group is the other key tool of choice.

Hope this helps.

Hard to express how much easier it could be done in FormZ!

Hard to express how much easier it could be done in FormZ!

There's a thousand ways to answer this challenge and I was in no way suggesting that it was easier in Maya just showing the OP one way of answering the modeling challenge (with a similar set of tools to those available in FormZ).

I don't ever aim to say which way is the best way or show off my modelling prowess by offering a complete solution as I think it's more useful to prompt users in the right direction so they can solve their modeling problems for themselves in the future.

And to be frank, whatever modeling package you're most familiar with will always be the easiest solution for you personally - be that Maya, Max, Modo, C4D or FormZ.

Archived