AutoDesSys

Form z 6.7.3 Pasting from Draft into Modeling

kim

I hope that it is okay that I am still asking a question regarding FZ 6.7.3 on this forum.  

My problem is that I am trying to paste from Drafting to Modeling and I cannot get it to work.  No elements are moved over.  I have also tried pasting from the FZ Draft Clipboard without any luck.  When I check the clipboard the 2D image is in it.

I must be forgetting to do a setting.  Any pointers would be very helpful.

Thanks

Kim

Hi Kim,

You are using the Paste From Drafting command from the Edit Menu, right?

Your objects are not on layers that are turned off or out of view, are you?

If that's not it, if you reboot your computer, does that fix it?

And if not, does this only happen with a certain file, or if you get a New Drafting file, draw a rectangle, copy it, get a New Model file, and Paste From Drafting, does that work?

I've had it happen where Z will only paste correctly the first time; subsequent copy/pastes results in objects not appearing. Quitting and relaunching Z usually gets things working. If you are doing lots of copy/pasting between modules you may end up doing a lot of quitting/relaunching - some files just don't seem to want to behave properly.

Thanks Ztech and Rich for your responses.

Found that  both your suggestions work, I don't remember FZ 6 behaving like this in the past.  Is this just a glitch with the newer operating systems?

My work around now for copying from Draft to Model  ------- I create a New Model file do the Copy from Draft and then copy and paste from the new Model file into the one I am working on. So far this is working for me.

My work around now for copying from Draft to Model  ------- I create a New Model file do the Copy from Draft and then copy and paste from the new Model file into the one I am working on. So far this is working for me.

Thanks for that workaround; I will try it next time I encounter the issue. Certainly easier than quitting the program. Not sure about frequency - I don't use drafting much, though I do recall it happening occasionally going way back. But it could certainly be worse with newer versions of the OS.

You can Paste From Drafting directly into the desired Modeling Project if you want.  This is how it has always worked...

I think the point is that it -isn't- always working that way, and Kim has found that pasting into a new file instead is an effective workaround. I could try to send a file to illustrate the issue but figured fixes to V6 aren't happening at this point...

Archived