AutoDesSys

Why are DAE exports so time intensive?

DMclean

I wind up exporting all my work to DAE and OBJ files for sending them off to our FX house. While I haven't taken the time to actually benchmark, the DAE exports take considerably longer to export. OBJ's generally rarely take longer than 5 minutes or so while a DAE can easily take 15 to 20. Curious as to why.

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug,

There are different translator libraries that are used to convert the data but we are surprised that DAE would take that much longer.  We tested a number of different files, but the export time is pretty similar (DAE is just a little slower).  Can you please send a file where you observe this performance so we can investigate this here?

Just to make sure I wasn't overreacting to a perceived time difference... What, moi overreact?... I got the chance to run a quick time test on the export of a roughly 600MB file. OBJ exported in approx 3 minutes... DAE took approx 23 minutes. Now another file I exported today showed only a difference of 3 minutes between the two, so it does depend on what's in the file. This file does have quite a few 3D trees which have a ton of alpha mapped foliage which might be where some of the problem arises. I'll be FTP'ing the file shortly.

MacPro 2x2.66Xeons, 48Gig RAM, Yosemite, formZ 8.0.2...

Thanks,

Doug

BTW none of this isn't a complaint, just a curiosity. I'm thrilled that the DAE works  and works well since it's a central part of our pipeline. Of course I'd be happier if it was as fast as the OBJ... :)

Hi Doug,

Thanks for sending your file.  It does have many maps, and over 3.5 million faces, but it does seem to be taking longer than it might.  We will use this file to see if there are optimizations that can be applied to speed this up.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Archived