AutoDesSys

Some pointers for Datasmith export

I thought I'd start some pointers for smoother export, please add your own so we can all help each other. I'll add more as I find them.

1• Make sure surface objects normals are pointing in the right direction, otherwise they fail to import into TM. Normals for objects such as non-solid glass need to point out and ground surfaces need to point up.

Des,

Regarding your tip #1, surface objects are properly imported into Twinmotion (and Unreal Engine), but are visible only when the surface normal faces the camera.

If a surface is facing the wrong way, you can reverse its direction as you suggest (using formZ's Reverse tool), OR enable "Double Sided" materials in export options.

13 hours ago, fzdev said:

Des,

Regarding your tip #1, surface objects are properly imported into Twinmotion (and Unreal Engine), but are visible only when the surface normal faces the camera.

If a surface is facing the wrong way, you can reverse its direction as you suggest (using formZ's Reverse tool), OR enable "Double Sided" materials in export options.

Yes, I've figured that out now. But I did waste a lot of time on my first tries including exporting and importing multiple files to see the differences, all good now.

The TM interface takes some getting used to and some functions are buried deep.

Anyway, if there are other tips, please post them.

Des