AutoDesSys

sketchfab - issues with textures and smooth objects ?

Thorsten

Hi there,

I'm just trying sketchfab.

When exporting directly from formz,ther are no textures and smooth objects in the sketchfab model. is this a known bug ?

So which format do you recommend for exporting and uploading manually ? Until now i can't find a good one. All my attempts get triangulated and / or have missing geometry or textures.

Best regards, Thorsten

Hi mojo,

I made some Sketchfab models earlier in the year. Sketchfab is not expecting smooth geometry. All of my geometry here is smooth it is a manufacturing co. The trick is to mesh your model. Luckily formZ is a vast set of tools that allow us to navigate this thorny ass problem in one click. Use the mesh tool set to triangulate on all of the objects in the file. See attached shot for the settings. This operation takes a while, as it uses one core, but there is a lot to do. This operation preserves all of your mapping. This is critical because you have to do all of that in Sketchfab. Something else helpful to know is that your Sketchfab model is organized by material. You could turn the visibility of an object on and off this way. All objects with a material in common will be controlled together. It sucks to do all of the texture final settings in Sketchfab, but its display system is just not the same as Z so it has to be tweaked anyway. The trick is in getting your model "right" before you upload and do all the texture set up. ps. save a non-facetted copy of your model first for the inevitable revision!

meshtoolsettings.thumb.jpg.a5707fe05712fefbfa5214ab3cfd8abc.jpg

Edited by johnalexander1571

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mojo,

I am making some more Sketchfab models today, and I just uploaded a model forgetting to triangulate first, and I thought I would have to delete it, but it came out ok, even as smooth. Textures are all there. I just have to set up the final appearances. I don't know if some change was made, but it is working now without any headaches for me.