AutoDesSys

File format import bug

Peder

I am having trouble importing different file formats. For example Sketchup fails silently (doesnt open the file). I have managed to localize the issue in so far as if I am logged in to the computer as a normal user (the standard in our office) this happens. But when I log on to my machine as Admin I do not have the problem. Is there some file write location that FZ is using that is preventing full functionality on my system?

I am in urgent need of getting this to work.

Thanks.

/Peder

Hi Peder,

This sounds like you have a permissions issue on the non-admin account.  If you Fix Disk Permissions, does that help?

Or if you Quit formZ, go to the non-admin account, go to the Finder: Go Menu, hold down the Option key, choose Library: Preferences -- and then rename the autodessys folder, does that help?

Or if not, if you test with a New User Account, does that then import your files properly?

Unclear what made it work but thankfully it is now working as it should. Thanks! Please consider testing the app more while not running as admin. I believe many programs are suffering from this kind of problems. According to our IT dept. typically you do not have write permissions to the application folder. My suspicion is that FZ is attempting to write to that position The weird thing was that when I ran the app as admin (while logged in as a normal user) the import worked. And it continued to work when running the app again while not as admin and again after logging out and back in. So I am not sure what is causing the problem. We changed permissions to the application folder that is in C:\Program Files\formZ 8.

Hope the report above helps you track this down.

Peder,

There should not be any issues with running formZ on non-Admn accounts.  You only need Read Access to the Application Folder -- so there should not be any special permissions necessary there.

Permissions errors are somewhat common on OS X, and you should Repair Permissions on a semi-regular basis (every month or so) for best results.

Hi Peder,

Sorry, we missed that note that you are on a PC.  What exact version of Windows are you using?

Did you remember to disable virus detection when installing formZ?

If you Quit formZ and go to the USER: App Data: Roaming folder -- and rename the autodessys folder that is there, does that help?

And if not, what changed between when it was working -- when it stopped working -- and when the problem returned?

I thought perhaps the roaming folder might be it since I changed the name -then it worked again. Then suddenly for no apparent reason it stopped again. Consistantly I can import files when running the app as admin.

Are you or anyone reproducing this issue?

Best regards,

Peder

Hi Peder,

No, we are not reproducing this with our non Admin accounts.  Perhaps you are customizing something that is causing the problem?

Quit formZ, rename (or delete) the autodessys folder from Roaming, and then try importing without customizing anything.  Does that then keep working for you?

And if you log onto your computer with another "standard user account" do you have the problem with that other account -- or only with your account?

Archived