AutoDesSys

Dimension bugs and print scaling

Alan Cooper

I assumed I didn't have my dimensions set up correctly but upon further investigation, I think there are still some bugs.

1. Extension setting only extends one of the extension lines which looks messy so for quality work it needs to be set to 0 extension which is not necessarily desirable.
  2. Dimensions in hidden line rendered display do not render clearly on the monitor. Also, alignment of the text is wrong in hidden line render for measurements above the object and to the left of the object
  3. After I change the dimension style property from text above to text below the dimension, it is not updated for hidden line render which remains as text below unless a dimension is deleted and performed again which updates the hidden line render setting, it starts as previously for a split second before displaying correctly, allbeit with the same type of alignment problem as explained in issue 2.
  4. I have experienced some erratic scale and misaligned placement when selecting to print to pdf which would presumably also happen if selecting to a real printer. I have not noticed this before because I normally only print screen captures so what I see is what I get.
  5. Upon first instance of changing from hidden line display to shaded work display, the view changes. After correction of view, the problem is not repeatable for that file.
  6. I don't know why to begin with I get print plot scale default as scale 1:19.2 with the weird dimension scaling print preview. Maybe that is a fault with my setup or custom preferences or perhaps of the program default?

The observations above are regarding FormZ, not Layout, as I haven't used Layout for some time, but seem to remember experiencing problems with dimensions with Layout, however, after these observations, I am wondering if the faults were actually with FormZ not sending to Layout correctly. I expect to continue my routine of screen capturing to extract visual results from FormZ to avoid potential wasted time.

I'll be too busy for the next couple of weeks to post further about this but it will be interesting to see if these experiences are universal and what solutions are available, or whether my preferences file is corrupt, though I don't fancy rebuilding my custom settings.

post-242-0-27996700-1465718099_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-44603900-1465718160_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-13768500-1465718201_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-86608100-1465718240_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-66246400-1465718260_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-49115000-1465718278_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-26495000-1465718309_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-63599700-1465718329_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-10063000-1465718359_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-12404600-1465718394_thumb.jpg

Dimensions test.zip

formZ Preferences V8.5-002.zpf.zip

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reports.  Please find some specific questions below:

3.  Changing this Dimension Style alone is not detected by the Hidden Line display as a reason to regenerate the image.  If you make any change (like just draw another object), then the Hidden Line will properly reflect this change.  (But of course you shouldn't have to do this...)

5.  We are not sure if we understand what you are saying here.  If we open your project, choose Hidden Line, and then choose Shaded Work -- should we see the view change?  (We do not.)  Or do we need to create a New Project in order to see this?   Or if other steps are necessary to see the view change, what else should we be doing?  And in case it affects the issue, are you running your monitor at the recommended resolution and aspect ratio -- or something different?  

6.  The Plot Scale is saved with your Project (and if you get a New Project -- those settings are coming from your Preferences -- or Template File (if you are using one)).  Just choose your desired scale (10:1 or 1:1 -- or whatever), click OK, and save the file -- and you will see these new values when you check it again.

Please let us know about these questions when you have time so we can investigate these further, and thanks for the reports we did reproduce, we will get these corrected. ;)

Archived