AutoDesSys

for very patient people- questions regarding switch from V6 to 7...

Spacer

Hi,

I recently started to look more serioulsy at V7 after years and years on V6.

I have some questions, which i am sure have been dealt with over and over, but I cannot find posts relating, so I hope some patient soul will help me out.

1.) ok so grouping. if I creat an objet to Booleen something that's in a group, I need to move that new object into the group and then edit the group to perform the Booleen, right? Either I am missing something or this way of 'protecting' the objects in groups creates a longer workflow.

2.) So if i find grouping and the required group editing tiresome, do I stop grouping objects and use layers to organise groups of objetc?

3.) snapping: the ortho guides are great, but in V6 on a facing view I could double click on a face that was horizontale (and so appears as a line in the facing(frontal view) and then with ortho on and snap to segments, i could move the face vertically and snap to a new height. With V 7 the ortho guide works until my cursor arrives at the new line(could be a facade I amsnapping to) and then seems to defer to or want to choose between the ortho guide and the segment snap. This is less effective, and less precise. Am I missing something?

thanks for now.

Peterpost-9808-0-27258400-1445960960_thumb.png

PS I back saved to V 6 to model boxes faster, but I did model a complex rattan chairr in v7, and can definitely see the advantages there, especially with the tools for reference plane creation and use.

Hi Spacer,

1.  Just select Unlock Groups from the Edit Menu.

2.  You can still group, but using Layers is generally more efficient if you have lots of objects.

3.  When your cursor is over a guide, hold down the Shift key to lock it to that guide, so you can move away and snap to something else.

Does that do what you want?

Also, if you have not yet "carefully studied" this posting, we would highly recommend that:

http://forums.formz.com/index.php?/topic/19-formz-v7-8-migration-guide-interface-improvements-from-formz-6/

Please let us know if you have any further questions, we would be glad to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Yes that was it. I've gone through the tutorials, and am slowly getting this.

Unlock groups took away most of my frustrations.

Why can't i select objects from the objects palette if i am not on the select tool?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Tools in formZ 7 and later have a "pick filter" -- which means that they will only pick parts upon which the tool can operate.  Therefore if you have the Join Lines tool (for example), then this will expect you to select lines and not solid objects...

Archived