AutoDesSys

aspect ration of camera cones

Bartjuan

Whats happening here?

if I set up 3 identical views (3 point persp)

and set views to visible

then change the focal length of 2 of the views, the aspect ratio of the field of view indicator changes.

I would love to manually set the aspect ratio of the field of view indicator to match a specific standard ( like in "image Options") or keep it square at a minimum.

if there is a logic I am missing here let me know

Bart

post-225-0-46026600-1445618237_thumb.jpg

Hi Bart,

The aspect ratio is determined by the Display menu: Image Options settings.  When you save a view, whatever is in that view will be retained in the final view.  If you make the Image Options taller but don't change the width, the view will be "un-cropped" and you will see exactly the same thing but more of the top and bottom of the scene.

Does that answer  your question?

No, Sorry, 

I'm talking about the pyramid shape that represents the cameras cone of vision, I believe it is called a frustum.

it makes sense to me that if I change the lens on a camera the viewing "cone" changes.

but if I have three identical cameras, and all I change is the lens ( focal length in FZ) from 75mm to 35 mm to 28mm

why does the frustum go from wide rectangle, to square, to tall rectangle?

see the attachement on original post

( sorry for the double post, glitch during posting)

Bart

Hi Bart,

The proportions come from the Window Size.  Here is what I get if I save 3 views, and adjust their Focal Lengths as you describe:

post-5-0-03460400-1445635935_thumb.jpg

The first two are the same because I started with the middle cone, the inner cone just expanded the view, but the larger cone was adjusted to fit the window proportions...

Does that help?

ok, I definitely have some strange anomaly happening.

here is what I am getting by creating a view, making 2 copies and changing the focal distance: image ratio2.jpg

the red rectangle is the frustum for a view with a focal distance of 28mm. there is a inner rectangle that is wider than tall that is the 75mm focal distance.

What is really odd is that if I now change the 28mm view to 29mm it snaps back to almost square.

Same with the wide 75mm view, if I change it to 74 or 76 it snaps back to square..

- if I change it a lot (to a lower number) the frustum gets narrow and tall.

if I change it a lot ( to a highr number) it gets wide and short 

increment a tiny bit 9 up or down) and it gets close to square.

image ratio3.jpg shows what I am seeing, 

on left is camera, focal distance adjusted   down from 35 to 28

on right is camera, focal distance adjustred  up from 35 to 75

post-225-0-56315700-1445637502_thumb.jpg

post-225-0-65185600-1445637983_thumb.jpg

Archived