AutoDesSys

New Layout. Image size and use of colors.

Alan Cooper

I have only just started to become accustomed with layout.

Seems pretty good, however it seems a pretty black and white world or have I missed something? If someone could post an example of their use of color, it would help to at least see what might be possible to aim for.

Inserting an image to a required size works ok after I stumbled upon the solution, as it needs to refresh. As this is a bit quirky, I am attaching this little tip to explain how it's done.

post-242-0-13236700-1444635816_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan,

The By Scale text fields seem to be working as expected for us.  After you input a number, hit Tab or Enter or click away from the text field.  This will accept the value and then change the size of image to be placed in the Layout project window.

As for the color, just make sure that you have Show Color set in the Frame Parameters: Hidden Line Options:

post-5-0-57683900-1444689980_thumb.jpg

And that you have this set in the Project Display Options:

post-5-0-99111100-1444689980_thumb.jpg

Hi, thanks Tech,

Image resize.

Upon further investigation, I have noticed that both clicking enter AND jogging my mouse slightly is required to refresh the size of the image to be placed. Clicking enter simply tabbed the highlighted value from percentage box to scale box. It's a minor issue, but worth mentioning that as a new user, I was expecting the image to resize upon hitting enter, before either jogging the cursor or performing some other action, no amount of just clicking enter would achieve it.  Perhaps it varies from machine to machine. This is a windows 7 laptop with unusual 18.4" screen 1920x1080 res. Ati Mobility Radeon, Intel i7series 740QM 16GB DDR3 memory.

Absolutely no problem if you expect that to happen.

Great that color in layout is possible, but I am still having difficulties and will email a file to find out where I am going wrong please.

Support has promptly fixed my problem. I had applied color in 'project settings' and 'frame parameters' but neglected to apply it in 'display settings'. That's 3 places to apply settings, before we even get started on object settings and layer settings. Wow, no wonder I get confused sometimes ;)

It's actually good that FormZ is so flexible, confusing at times to need to apply settings here there and everywhere, and yet that is how we 'control freaks' get the program to do exactly what we require, with flexibility to individualise areas of our designs to achieve that particular result we want in a non-blanket fashion unless that is what we want. It is a strong characteristic of FormZ, part of it's soul if you like, and should remain. Basically easy to use but with a lot of depth available if you want it.

Archived