AutoDesSys

form•Z Printing Empty PDFs

Richard Fairbanks

< 3.5 GHz, 6-Core Mac Pro (MacPro6,1) with 16GB RAM, running OS X 10.10.5 and form•Z 6.1.2 >

Greetings, folks!

I was recently blessed with a Mac Pro, and can finally get back to long-missed work in form•Z (after a hiking accident that I have no memory of and was never expected to survive).

I am simply trying to print out PDFs of models I developed many years ago. I can get the Page Options to render: a frame, crop marks, and the file name and date, so the PDF _is_ printing, but there is no image rendered; the frame is empty. The “File/Page Preview” looks great, and after clicking the “Print...” button, the screen flashes with the expected image (which then gets stretched horizontally before the window closes), but the final output has no model rendered.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!,

Richard Fairbanks

(FYI, the 8.5 demo doesn’t open 6.1.2 files, and didn’t print any PDFs either. There are just too many challenges with moving from 6.1.2 to 8.5, and I can’t [yet] afford the upgrade. Sorry!)

Hi Richard,

We are not sure why you would be having trouble.  If you download, unzip, and open this file, go to the Print command, and choose Open PDF in Preview (from the PDF menu at the bottom), does that work for you?

post-5-0-43702500-1444655790_thumb.jpg

If that works, but printing another file does not, does choosing the File Menu: Plot Print Setup: Scale to Fit option make it work?

If our file works but yours does not, please send your file so we can take a look.

Print PDF.Copy.fmz.zip

Greetings, folks, and thank you for the response; it is much appreciated!

> We are not sure why you would be having trouble.  If you download,

> unzip, and open this file, go to the Print command, and choose Open
> PDF in Preview (from the PDF menu at the bottom), does that work for
> you?

Before I got your response, I did a Safe Boot, as that can often clean up some OS X anomalies. (I really miss the [relative] stability of 10.6.8!) I downloaded your file, and it opens in Preview just fine, which was a relief! I then opened the file I am currently attempting to print to PDF, and it now prints to PDF just fine when in “Wire Frame” mode, but does not work in “Interactive Shaded,” which is what I need--I still get a blank page. (As noted, the “File/Page Preview” menu item produces a great looking image! I just need a higher resolution than a screen shot.) “Surface Render” resolves the model in less than a minute, but then just generates a relentlessly spinning beachball until a force-quit becomes necessary;  “Shaded Render” doesn’t give me the edge lines that I need. (The PDFs are for submission to an organization that has strict requirements for submitted images.)

> If that works, but printing another file does not, does choosing the
> File Menu: Plot Print Setup: Scale to Fit option make it work?

The “Plot/Print Setup...” had already been set to “Scale to Fit.”

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Hi Richard,

Do you reproduce the problems at all with our file -- or only with yours?

If only with yours, please send it.  formZ 6.1 more than 8 years before OS X 10.10 so we can't guarantee that it will work properly, and it is not supported, but we will help if we can.

Archived